I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP Thread discoloration
Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: February 08, 2007 09:50AM

I just finished wrapping a Steelhead rod and used a medium grey size A Guebrod thread for the main wraps. I appled U-40 color lock. On a couple of wraps I got some discoloration, or darkening. I applied the CP the same on all of the wraps and connot figure out why a couple of spots did this. I am suspecting the thread itself as some of the discoloration is in bands on the guide wrap, like there was sections in the spool that were not quite consistent. Has anyone had this problem? I thought CP was to keep this from happening not cause it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP Thread discoloration
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2007 09:53AM

The CP didn't cause it, inconsistent thread packing or tension probably did.

Take a close look at the thread, under magnification if possible, and see if the dark areas are simply areas where there are minute gaps between the threads, allowing the blank underneath to show through. This is usually the culprit.

Date: February 08, 2007 09:58AM

That is what I would suspect, but the wraps are very tight and well packed and burnished. All the wraps were done the same and only a couple show this fault. I even cut one off and redid it with a similar flaw but the discoloration was at different spots and pattern. It's not drastic but I don't like it.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: February 08, 2007 10:32AM

Take a pic and post it. Color Preserver doesn't magically work on some spots and not on others.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:42AM

In that case I'd almost have to assume that you managed to get something on the thread in spots.

Posted by: Mark Kissinger (12.111.220.---)
Date: February 08, 2007 01:11PM

I have had this occur to me before. It was not specifically due to the CP, but to how I applied it. I did not get it into the threads enough (probably because I dilute the CP). I usually do two to three good coats of CP now and then when the CP is dry, I put alcohol on the wrap with a brush. The alcohol will definitely show you where there is not enough CP or if you missed a spot with CP as it will be darker than the other spots. If there are spots, wait for the alcohol to dry and then recoat with another layer of CP. I haven't has a problem since doing it this way.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 07:47PM

Robert Greene, during a recent private e-mail exchange he had with me, and a post here on this board, suggested he had the answer to this very problem. Apparently if you do not follow the directions on the bottle this will happen, but I'm still puzzled since the directions on the bottle are pretty straight forward.

I could never solve why SOME thread becomes mottled like this, other does not. Most recently it was green nylon that I had this very same problem with. Not just one section of thread, but throughout the rod - underwraps under the fancy wrap and under the guides. Using the very same spool of thread I threw a 4" test wrap on the butt section of an identical blank and applied cp to 2" of the wrap and straight finish to the other half. The section with cp mottled as before but the other half with straight finish did not but did go turn translucent from the finish. Something in the thread allowing for uneven wetting is my guess.

BTW, I stripped off all the thread and redid threadwork.

Lou

Date: February 08, 2007 08:39PM

Thinning CP is a common culprit of many problems. Water or alcohol won't seal the thread, you need those solids in the CP and when you think it, you reduce the amount of solids you're putting on the thread.

I still suspect something has gotten on your thread.

Date: February 09, 2007 12:04PM

Interesting, I highly suspect the same thing, uneven wetting. I do not thin CP ever, it's the solids that do the work, the water is just the solvent. Maybe there is some type of contamination, either in the thread or introduced by myself as I wrap. Strange though, I wrap a whole tip section the other night with this same med. grey thread with most wraps looking perfect and a couple showing this problem. I think some colors will show this and some won't. Puzzling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster