I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sewing Thread?
Posted by: Allen Sarbida (---.k12.hi.us)
Date: February 06, 2007 08:01PM

Aloha All,

Are there any other alternatives to Maderia poly 40 wt. Thread. I will mostly be using them for butwrapps not on the guides.

I spoke to a sweing store here who carries the mad deer and she said that she may have other poly type thread to suggest. Its supposed to be thicker so I am assuming easier to use.

I guess I'm asking ,why maderia.? What qualities seperate it from the others?
can I use another brand (of course there is gudeboard/holland/sulky/and all the others avail on the sponsors to the right)

Mahalo,

Allen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sewing Thread?
Posted by: thad peach (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 08:19PM

maderia poly neon #40 has so many options in colors is why I think that it is used more often. And they are usually cheaper than regular rod building threads. You can use just about any threads just as long as you use poly (polyester)threads. Just make sure that it does not have any silicon lubricant added to the thread. The silicon will affect the epoxy thread finish. Also stay away from rayon it will also have adverse affects on the thread finish. The maderia threads are a little smaller than size A threads and I haven found out how to keep it from twisting so much as it is pulled under tension (tension on the spool).

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 08:24PM

Yep,
Coats & Clark, Anton Robison, Mettler, YLI, and others.

40wt is slightly smaller then size "A" 60wt. even smaller. MADIERA is popular because
of the many many bright colors offered and the 40wt Polyneon works well too.

Nylon thread is not as prone to fuzzies as is rayon or cotton. I've tried all three and had
much less problems with the nylon. most any thread is strong enough for rod building
be it for guides or decoritive wraps.

Try any thread that suites your fancy. Just do a few test wraps (with & without CP and a coat
of finish) on some scrap or wood dowel before you start a new project with unfamiliar thread
so you wont run into any nasty surprises.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dave Hauser (67.180.162.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 08:26PM

Stay away from cotton and rayon. And if in any doubt if the thread has been treated with something you don't want in your finish,,,, seal it with CP

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2007 08:58PM

Madeira Polyneon #40 = 350 great colors!!!!! Stck with a polyestor or nylon and be pretty safe.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 09:00PM

Mad Deer is so popular because it has been talked up so much by those using it. I feel bag for Big Macs i Ohio, who were the guys I saw using it before I blabbermouthed all over the internet.

The question shouldn't be "why ?Madeira, it should be why NOT Madeira. Take a look at teh Photo Page and look at the guys using and recommending it. That should be enough to answer any questions. THt's not to say teh otehr brands don't work, and dont' work well, but if you're not sure what you're buying, why re-invent the wheel?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 02:10PM

Allen,

Can not express enough, the use of CP with regular sewing or embroidery thread. Because of the use of silicon to make it glide through the needles better. If you don't use CP you WILL have problems with the epoxy adhering to it. Also, good advise to stay away from cotton and Rayon. Stretch is really bad along with fuzzies.

Bill in WV

Date: February 07, 2007 03:59PM

I know of at least one builder (Jim Rippe) who udes a lot of Madeira WITHOUT CP and has never had a problem with fish eyes. I have never used it without CP as I like CP, but I hope that you guys are speaking from personal experience and not just passing along what may become one of those building "myths" that becomes "fact"! I have seen posts on this board where builders have asked particular companies whether lubricant was used on their threads and were told that NO lubricant was used.

I don't know one way or the other, but I, for one, would like to see posts from people that have actually experienced these finish adhesion problems. Pix would be a bonus!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: February 07, 2007 05:33PM

Mike, I've had all sorts of major fisheyes...beyond fisheyes, I've had large areas of thread in which the finish would not stick, adn the epoxy would settle up in one area forming craters. Each and EVERY single time I've tried using MAdeira without CP I've had this happen. One rod in which I applied finish over Madeira Metallics had it the worst...so bad that now when I see the rod (my friend uses it a ton) there seems to be an iridescent oils spot under the epoxy. I sold all my Madeira Metallics after that, as I couldn't deal with teh hassle of using it.

Several of the people who purchased MAdeira rom me experianced the EXACT same results. I cannot be sure, but I think teh reason might not be becasue of the lubricants in teh thread, but it might be the fact that I use Hugo's Tape to prevent teh spools from unwinding. I have not done any testing, but it's really, REALLY strange that everyone I spoke to for 3 years had the exact same problems that I had, and all of a sudden everyone else seems to have different results.

Now, I do not doubt Jim Rippe or Mike McGiveney, 2 rod builders who have done Tartans with MAdiera, even after I warned them that the thread will not become transparant, that it would actually darken, and that the thread woudl fisheye. I was wrong on both accounts, but I gave them that advice based on my experiances with teh thread. When I used epoxy over #40wt it never got transparant, it always seemed to get darker than what it was on teh spool. Teh sample butt wrap frm Charlotte last year, teh Pink & Purple one - I coated with Permaglos and regular epoxy and I did not experiance any Tartan-esque results, I got mud.

This is why I stopped posting MY experiances with the thread. All teh myths are pretty much exactly what I've been saying for years (including the "not strong enough for guide wraps" disproved by Mark with Laundry Detergent, lol). Teh problem is, that my other piece of advice for years has been to "TEST IT FOR YOURSELF AND SEE WAHT HAPPENS". Unfortunately, most people only took half my advice.

Date: February 07, 2007 09:58PM

Thanks, Billy!!!! I didn't doubt it. It's just that you're the only one that I can think of that reported that they actually got those results. I just wonder when everyone says not to do something, BUT, they never said that THEY did them and had problems! You know how if you hear something long enough, it becomes fact!
lol!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 10:15AM

I have used Rayon with great sucess on at least 4 different rods. It was purchased from Michaels and is all the same brand. CP was used on all (two coats). With the exception of the holo-shimmer thread, this is 100% rayon from top to bottom.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Just like Billy said....your milage may vary. With this thread, I test wrapped twice before I actually used the thread on my rod and I would reccomend anyone do the same if its a first use of a thread not specifically made for rodbuilding.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 07:37PM

I'm glad this is on PAge 2, since nobody is going to see it. MAdeira has a new thread, Xtra. Looks good. But it's a secret

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster