I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank brand quality / reputation
Posted by: Dan Nichols (192.195.154.---)
Date: February 05, 2007 02:06PM

I live in San Diego.

When I was younger, the blank brands Sabre, TruLine and Fenwick had the a pretty firm lock on the market for offshore rod blanks.

Today, the brands Seeker and Cal Star appear to have the same kind of lock on the market. My own experience with these two brands has been 100% positive so I believe they deserve their excellent reputations.

From time to time, I'll see other brands being offered, and each shop owner has their own opinions as to their quality. I can't bring myself to buy them, so I guess the marketing guys at Seeker and Cal Star did their job well.

I'm curious, however, are these brands really so much better than the competition, or is it mostly marketing? What has been your experiences with no-name blanks? Are they all made by the same company and just relabeled? Is there really a qualitive difference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank brand quality / reputation
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2007 02:10PM

Better? Not necessarily. Different? Perhaps.

There are just so many good blanks around these days. Seeker is certainly a good maker, but so is CTS, Lamiglas, Batson, St. Croix,

As far as "no name" blanks go, I really can't say. They may come from anywhere, be around a year and then gone next week. You have to decide what it's worth, if anything, in sticking with a name brand versus something by somebody you know nothing about.

Posted by: Skip James (---.lds.al.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 03:18PM

Batson is my 1st choice on almost any blank (Freshwater of Offshore).

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 03:27PM

**CalStar & Seeker both make fine blanks for the California/Baja/offshore markets**
But know you have a CHOICE now like you never have had before when it comes to Blanks & Components. We here at Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines feel that we have some of the finest products available today. For instance we developed a new series of blanks about 8 months ago ( RCLB = Rainshadow Composite Live Bait ) Blanks that I feel rival any name brand on the market , try one you will not be dissapointed. I had the pleasure of taking all 7 models on an R&D trip out of SanDiego and caught Yellowfin to yellowtail to Mahi to small rockfish and the blanks & NEW COMPONENTS performed flawlessly. We are a proven Company with Quality products for almost every market in this industry. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us. We are Rodbuilders & Fishermen who have a passion like no other company in the industry (IMHO).

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines..
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Date: February 05, 2007 03:29PM

Hi Skip:

Your post is what I'm asking about. You say Baston is your first choice...why?

Seeker and Cal Star are always my first choice...why? In my case, I have experience with them and like them.
However, I'll be the first to admit, I started with them on the recommendation of others.
I haven't tried others. So, while I'm happy with what I get...I don't really have anything in my own experience to compare them to.

What I was hoping to get with my question is people telling me that they tried "brand-X" and found it to be better than "brand-Y" because of A, B and C.

-Dan

Date: February 05, 2007 03:41PM

Hi Bill:

Thank you for responding. I'll check out your website.

-Dan

Posted by: Skip James (---.lds.al.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 05:04PM

Hi Dan;

The reason I choose Batson Blanks is that I haven't been put in a situation where that I couldn't match or exceed, in most cases, an action expectation from a customer with those products available. Occaisionally, for instance, I will get a finicky Bass tournament fisherman wanting me to duplicate a specific action from a very well known manufacturer but when that person fishes with one of my Batson RX8+ rods for his specific technique he forgets the other brand and wants the Batson. As far as the Offshore blanks from Batson, I have a lot out there performing flawlessly on the east coast (VA). I was fortunate to catch & release a 250# Blue Marlin last year on a "Bumper Wrapped" Batson Rod/ Avet Reel (JX4)/30# Big Game line. We caught our limit of Yellowfin that day (crew of four) also on those rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster