I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions about having a grouper rod built around a reel...
Posted by: Craig Clements (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2007 07:33PM

Now, I realize that there are "better" grouper reels out there (and more expensive), but I LOVE my Daiwa 610. I just feel like Jesse "The Body" Venture in the movie "Predator" with the big handle on top and the huge crank of a reel handle.

Now here's the thing: I would like to build or have a rod built to fit the reel. I've never built a rod, but am not worried about fancy wraps, etc., but I need it durable and functional. I know from what I've read that a spiral or acid wrap is the way to go on a bottom grouper rod. Does this put it out of the area of a first timer? I see the beautiful work on this site of builders, but my current budget limits me for a rod to be used a dozen times a year at most.

I'm wondering since the "handle" is offset slightly to the left, will this tend to make the blank twist? But then again, doesn't the same thing happen if you are holding onto the forgrip with your left hand? Should the first guide be offset more or less as a result, and would that be to the left or right, and which way to spiral it?

The rod specs I "know" (well, I think I know) I want: are a fast blank about 6 and a half feet, for 60-80 lbs class. the 6.5 I figure is an OK compromise, as I'm unlikely to ever have a big enough boat of my own to go out on, so this rod will be for a combo of charters (short is better mechanical advantage) and headboats (long is better for keeping line clear). As I said I'm looking for durability and function over looks, but I figure from all my readings that calstar/seeker/gator should have one fairly cheap to meet my needs. Reel seat I'm concerned about as I'll only have ahold of the reel, not the rod. I'm thinking the JR Jones lockdown seat would be ideal for this situation, but I've been unable to find the listed in the sponsors to left. If anyone could offer a catalog link it would be appreciated. I'm also trying to find "Rail Grip" developed by Mr. Throop from this site for a foregrip, but cannot find if it a marketed product. If not that I was considering some tuff-butt for the rail foregrip. As for rear-grip I'm thinking tuff-butt again or even plain pvc pipe, and some sort of big butt cap for my prodigious belly.
I was thinking no foul stainless would be about as bulletproof as they come, but I keep seeing SIC turbos and multi-foots on @#$%& for what seems cheap, so am unsure on that as well.

Sorry for the long post, but one last question: if I'm unable to tackle this myself, does most any rodbuilder know how to spiral wrap correctly? I see lots of custom built rods on the web and @#$%&, but very few are spiraled. Is there a way to tell if a person knows what he's doing? Ask him if "He's done acid?" and if he gets offended walk away or what?

Thanks, and sorry for all the newbie spam on the board, Hopefully you can tell I've done a lot of reading before asking.

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about having a grouper rod built around a reel...
Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 04, 2007 08:59PM

Hi Craig
I have built many rods fitting the reel, I think you can tackle this problem your self, the only problem I see is that you don't have a lot of components to choose from, like in my case i have several reel seats and other components to choose from, you would have buy them to match them way you want it to be. I do on my rods spiral wrap and had not one complaint yet.
The rod you want to built,I call them Battle rods, could be matched excactly to your needs and desires with out fancy thread work. If you have a chance, I would go to High Point and one the Vendors could help you to pick excactly what you need, I could help you to. If you have some body built it for you, that would make you happy but not proud, and since it will be your design you should do it your self, you might even found than a new hobby. If you need more help call me tomorrow and we can talk.
Best Regards Mark Crouse- The Munich Rod man
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.35-65.eufaula.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 11:56AM

Craig I live in Crystal River I will be glad to help you out if you want to Email me

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 02:24PM

If you go with a slow blank, be sure to use braided line. A long and slow blank combined with stretchy mono is a sure way to have a grouper 'rock you up'. Good luck.

Jay

Posted by: Craig Clements (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2007 06:39PM

Thanks Guys, I think I'll give it a go...

As far as the length/action, I've seen 2 schools of thought. The first is as you suggest, a longer rod with softer action and try to "pull " the fish away from his hole. The other, which is my preference, is to NOT pump, instead using the reel only to crank up the fish initially. This is why you see some people recomending a high speed reel, like a 114H (for the former) and others insisting on a low-spped cranker like the black-plate 114 Senator. T avoid getting "beat-up" by a fish #50- #100, you use the rail for the first few feet.

Do any of the sponsors carry the JR Jones reel seat or Mr. Throop's "Rail Grip"?

And any thoughts on the left offset overhand grip of the Daiwa 610 and offseting the inital guide left or right, as well as spiraling clock or counter-clockwise?

Thanks Again,

Craig Clements
Dover, Florida

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster