I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Would you like to make your own dry transfers?
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 11:01PM

Check it out: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would you like to make your own dry transfers?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 12:02AM

YES!!!!

If you would be so kind to pass on the process I would be VERY beholden
to ya Chuck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 02:57AM

Hey Chuck,

Very nice, you going to tell us how you did it?

Thanks much.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 03:05AM

Nice work Chuck!!!! I'd like to know how you did this as well. I wonder if it is stupid simple or a little more involved. I'm sure it will be an interesting read anyhow.

John

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 06:43AM

Very much interested please forward the process.

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: February 02, 2007 08:29AM

Please tell us your process. The label looks good. Metallic too!
Dave

Posted by: Charles Elmer (---.25.31.125.dynamic.dejazzd.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 08:30AM

Yes Chuck i am also interested It looks very good to me. Thanks Chuck Elmer

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 08:40AM

Thanks guys. For me it's really a great find since I do a lot of gift rods for relatives.

Here is my original post from January 4th: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Before you rush out and buy the starter pack here are a few things you will need to know. For best results you need a laser printer. But if you don't have access to one...the transfer paper comes with a Safety Certification to help ease the worried minds of the folks at printing services such as Kinko's. You can also print your images on an inkjet printer and then copy it on a toner copier. It is the toner that you need. Just inkjet will not work. You also need a heated roller laminator (I bought mine on @#$%& for 30 bucks). Most cheap laminators have heated plates before the rollers. That won't work. You will also need a hobby or paint stripping heat gun. A good graphics program such as Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw are great, but you can do text decals in any word processing program.

Finally, you need a lot of patience and ability to read and understand directions. Most rod builders should have no problems at all. I screwed up several attempts because I was in a hurry and didn't really understand the process. Now I know. I did 3 decals for this rod in less than an hour.

Just so you know, you can use denatured alcohol or isopropyl to remove the adhesive around the lettering 30 minutes after it has been applied. Just go easy and don't rub hard. You end up with metallic lettering that looks like it has been silk screened. Way cool! Better yet, if you position it wrong (or spelled it wrong) you can scrap it off with a fingernail, clean with alcohol and do it over.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 08:50AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 09:51AM

Chuck, thank you VERY much for your information.

<*)))><

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 10:00AM

You're welcome. It's the least I can do after all the knowledge I've received from this site.

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 11:32AM

Chuck,
Any other way to remove unwanted adhesive without the use of alcohol? I found that alcohol can damage the fiinsh on St. Croix SCV blanks, so I tend to be cautious with it now on all blanks. Lastly, what brand laminator did you buy? Thanks for the help.

John Gertz

Date: February 03, 2007 01:08PM

John, the system uses Sulky KK2000 spray adhesive which can be removed with Isopropyl. All you need to do is lightly rub the excess away. I doubt that you will remove enough finish to notice. I have not finished a decal yet without removing excess but I think you could do it. I doubt it would show on a colored blank. I have a blue SCIV in the shop that I just made decals for and will check that out soon. I did have to wipe some excess finish off once and I only had a slight blue tint on my paper towel using isopropyl. You say "all blanks". I think you mean colored blanks? I use denatured all the time - even on OG RX7 blanks and all is good. The only blanks I've ever heard of with a color shedding problem were the blue SCIVs.

I bought a new GBC Creative for $18.99 on @#$%& using the "Buy it now" feature. Idiots were paying more for a used one. Duh. I think the GBC 9" Personal laminator also has heated rollers but I'm not 100% on that.

I just put a perfect coat of LS Supreme hi build on my son's rod. Way cool! It looks like super shiny gold under plastic. More pics later.

Chuck

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 02:02PM

Chuck,
Thanks for the information, and yes, I did mean colored blanks. I've only had a problem once (I learned fast) and it was with the St. Croix SCV brown pearl finish. I think I'll give the dry transfer decal a try, it seems a great way to customize a decal for each rod I build. Thanks again and I'll look for the pictures you post.

John Gertz

Date: February 03, 2007 04:42PM

If you buy the stuff be sure to watch the demo several times. Read the step by step instructions. Practice it on an old blank or arrow shaft.

What I love about this is that I can customize every decal I put on a rod. So far I have done metallic foils in red, green and gold. They all look good. My SCIV with titaniums is getting a holo decal. It's almost as much fun as building a rod.

I'm sad to hear the brown SCV wipes off too. I want to build on one of those soon.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 06:03PM

SCII green will wipe off also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster