I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat over inscription
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 10:06PM

I put down a layer of flex coat. Sanded it with 400 grit. Wrote my inscription on it with acrylic ink. Can I just brush a coat of Flex-coat over it after it dries, or do I need some sort of intermediate coating over the ink to keep it from running under the flex-coat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat over inscription
Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 10:15PM

My humble and inexpert opinion is that you can go direct to flex coat once that ink is good and dry. The only time I've ever run into trouble is when applying heat to the finish in order to burst bubbles as I occasionally do. If you're not careful it is possible to overheat things and believe it or not, you can cause the acrylic ink to run.
If you're not using heat (and probably even if you are) you should have no problem if the ink is dry. It dries to the touch very quickly, but I am cautious and I'll usually wait about 12 hours to make sure, though I have coated it after an hour with no trouble. There's one other potential pitfal to avoid--don't brush your flex coat on agressively by stroking back and forth--you can wreck it if you're too heavy handed and "scrub it" with your brush. It will blur if you swab the brush through the finish enough. Just gently put the coat of flex coat on, monkey with it as little as possible, and it will work great! Acrylic is all I use now for inscriptions, though I wish I had better writing skill!

CH

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 01:46AM

Bill & Charles (or anyone else for that matter), I usually write my inscriptions directly on the blank. Have you done the same in the past and switched to writing on the flex-coat instead, or have you always done it that way?
I am curious to know if you found it easier, or if the inscriptions turn out better by laying a coating of finish on it first. I guess if I ever really make the effort, I have enough scrap blanks hanging around that I could try experiementing.
Just wanted some feedback on the process though.

By the way, I learned that lesson the hard way sometime back. I always found it prudent to lay a seal coat over the inscription, and allow it to completely dry for at least a day before I applied a final build over the inscription. I avoided smearing the the writing and am able to use the flame to pull off the excess and create a really flat finish.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 01:50AM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 02, 2007 01:59PM

I put down coat of finish and then apply the inscription to that.

The inscription I like the look as it is kind of suspended. Plus if it ever needs to change or come off, you don't have to go all the way down to the blank to do that.

After I inscribe I give it a light coat of spray fix. Available at drafting/art/craft stores. That'll make sure it doesn't run or bleed.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 07:53PM

I apply the ink directly to the blank (force of habit, mostly) unless I intend to make it as part of the butt wrap. For example, I have used a butt wrap that is a larger version of the guide wrap, for example, and on the large expanse of thread (coated with flexcoat, of course) written my inscription.
So, my habit has been to write directly on the blank unless the inscription goes over thread, in which case is use one or more coats of flexcoat before I write. There is probably one very good reason to write on a thin coat of flexcoat, though, rather than bare blank, which is that if you use a metal pen (what I'll call the "quill" type) you can scratch the paint off the blank if you're not careful if you don't get the writing correct the first time and have to wipe it off and reapply the writing. Thus, it's probably better to scratch up flexcoat than scratch up the blank.

CH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster