I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WRAP BEFORE GUIDES ARE SET?
Posted by: STEPHEN GONZALEZ (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 11:52AM

I AM GETTING READY TO WRAP MY FIRST ROD. I HAVE NOT FOUND PROS OR CONS TO WRAP BEFOR THE GUIDES ARE SET? IS DOUBLE OR TRIPPLE WRAP OVER THE GUIDES BETTER? WHICH IS BETTER? THE BLANK IS A GF900H OR 800H CALSTAR 9 FT. I HAVE WANTED TO MAKE A ROD FOR MANY YEARS AND THIS WILL BE MY FIRST. STRAIGHT THREE COLOR NOTHING FANCY FOR THE FIRST ONE. ONE MORE THING, IS THE ORDER LIKE THIS.

-FIND SPINE
-FIND SPOTS FOR GUIDES THEN SET
-SET BUT AND REEL SEAT
-WRAP BASE
-WRAP GUIDES
-FLEX COAT HIGH BUILD OVER WRAP
-SPIN DRY 14-16 RPM

I REALLY WANT TO START DOING THIS. ANY ANSWER WILL BE GREATELY APPRECIATED.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WRAP BEFORE GUIDES ARE SET?
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 12:20PM

i dont even sweat the spine i just do it by the straightest axis

i scuff up the area that my butt, reelseat, and foregrip go with a scotchbright pad....i then glue my butt, reelseat and foregrip on and let that dry for a day then i glue my tip on and attach my guides with rubber bands or tape and do a static deflection to see why the guides need to be placed

then i start doing my underwraps(if i need them) and then put a light coat of finish them and let that dry....then i wrap all my guides on and then go back and straighten them all out and then apply my finish

the way i apply my finish is with a metal spatula i put it on and let it sag then wick it off and flip in 180 degrees and do that until it stops sagging(go that from people here and it works excellent) let that dry and do another coat....i put 2-3 light coats of finish on and then let it dry for a few days and its ready to fish

good luck! it gets addicting and youll end up wanting a rod for each different type of fish you go after haha.....half way through building a rod i figure out that i need a couple more rods for other types of fishing haha its great

Date: January 30, 2007 01:16PM

John,
So what would be the reason for underwraps?

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 02:29PM

Stephen,

Underwraps prevent the guide feet from damaging the blank. Builders also use them to add additional decorative elements to their rods. In the distant past, rod builders used to be advised to underwrap all guides whether the rod was built for fresh or saltwater.

Now, I think the general rule is to wrap the larger saltwater guides such as the roller guides. As I don't really build saltwater rods, I don't have the experience or expertise to give you any more detailed information.

I've gone out and looked at a number of websites dedicated to heavy saltwater rod crafting. While I couldn't find any definitive information explaining why underwraps are necessary, they do all seem to agree to continue using them.

I'm sure others within the forum can provide a better explanation.

If you haven't already, I do recommend you pick up a basic rod builder's book such as Tom Kirkman's or other. Most Barnes & Nobles or Borders do carry a decent assortment.

Good luck.

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.35-65.eufaula.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 03:02PM

Either way is fine but I like to do my handle and butt wrap first that way if I'm doing a under wrap I don't have to worry about the guides being in the way or making the blank unbalanced

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 06:16PM

Stephen,

Jon's got it down pat!! You list setting your guides BEFORE you do your grips and seat. How are you able to determine guide spacing or do static defection without the grip and seat on the rod?? The grip and seat would be the first thing that I install on a rod. I usually do the guides last.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 30, 2007 06:47PM

i hang something from the tip when i do the static deflection test and then run the line through to see if the line follows the blank...if you do it this way make sure your tip is glued on and secured good

my friend was doing it to his rod and his tip wasnt glued on good and we sittin there and he hangs the milk jug with coins and we see the milk jug fall a little well it took like 10 mins for us to figure out the tip came lose and spun around (building a casting rod)

also Mr. Barkley is who i got the spatula the finish on and wick it off and i must say my finish looks a lot better and is easier (to me) to apply

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:24PM

Jon,
I'm old (and fat), but not old enough for "MR" LOL

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 30, 2007 09:41PM

haha

Date: January 30, 2007 11:42PM

I SPENT MOST OF THE DAY MAKING THE TABLE DOWNSTAIRS IN MY BASEMENT AND CLEARING THE WIFIES CRAP FROM THE AREA I AM TAKING OVER. THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT ALL YOU GUYS I APPRECIATE IT. I MUST GET A BOOK FROM THE BARNS BOOK STORE TOMORROW AND SOME PRODUCTS. I READ SOME STUFF HERE ON "A, B, AND C" SIZE STRINGS AND I HAVE SOME MORE TIME TILL ALL MY STUFF GETS HERE AND I NEED TO READ MORE INFO. I JUST DONT WANT TO MESS UP A 100.00$ BLANK. MY BROTHER SAID IT WAS EASY. EASY IF YOU STUDY AND READ THEN PREPARE. THANX JON, LARRY PATRICK AND MIKE.

MUST FISH . STEVE.G

Date: January 31, 2007 12:15AM

it is def. easier than it looks...when i was looking to build my first rod i was real scared i was going to mess everything up but got everything i needed and started working on it...come to find out there was nothing to be scared of just read and if you arent sure about something come on here and ask

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster