I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kevlar Tubing or Material?
Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 11:37AM

I have a customer who I am helping over an addiction to the high-end Japanese rods. One of the things he has really liked has been Kevlar tubing or material on the blank forward of the foregrip (extending to the first guide) and between the split-grips. I've never heard of such and have several questions:

1. Is there any purpose (other than decorative) for this stuff? If so, what does it do?

2. Can it be applied to a new blank?

3. If applied to a blank, is there significant weight that will negatively affect balance?

4. Where can one get this stuff?

I'll appreciate any enlightenment you guys might be able to offer. This question really came out of the blue!

Jim Kirby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kevlar Tubing or Material?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 12:03PM

It is possible that the blanks on the rods he is using are the American Tackle Matrix blanks, and that some one told that was what the material is. Personally out side of that I have not seen or heard of what you are referring to.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 30, 2007 12:27PM

I have seen some blanks like you mention that have the woven graphite look only up to the first guide or at least a little past the decal area. I have some Daiwa rods like that. Look kinda neat, but I don't know anything else about it.

TJ

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 12:41PM

The japanese rods I've been around looked like they had 15mm tubing through the butt and reelseat. Somewhere under the reelseat it looks like they are arboring the tubing to the blank and the foregrip is attached to the blank, some also have a pattern of material that closely matches the tubing pattern up the blank to the guide as you suggested. The Andrews and Matagi components at Merricks are of the same type materials. They also have some of the painted Fuji reelseats.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 01:20PM

Is it kevlar or carbon fibre? Kevlar and UV do not mix well. Carbon fibre, however, is not bothered by UV. There are materials made to look like either as well.
If he wants something 'neat', mount a CAR-15 front hand guard. Some of the custom front tubes have small enough diameters that you can probably get it to work. On a big enough rod it would work, with an aftco stripper looking like the front sight as well. Now that would be a tuna killer!..... sorry,,, my mind wanders sometimes. :-)

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 01:28PM

Matagi does make the piece between the grips in carbon fiber and kevlar (its a 15mm ID tube). I have never heard of an add on piece of kevlar that will extend up to the first guides. I think that is part of the japanese blanks and not somethign that can be added on. I have often thought of trying to use carbon fiber cloth or kevlar to wrap the blank in to get this effect one wrap of this cloth will add almost no weight.

One other problem is I ordered matagi parts for 3 rods 3 1/2 months ago. I still have not recieved all the parts from that order. I dont know of any customer willing to wait that long for a rod, so be prepared to eat the parts and they are not cheap if this same thing happens to you.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 06:42PM

I do not know why someone would want to use kevlar in rod manufacturing because it has such poor load bearing capibility. No structural parts are made from kevlar that I know of, mostly panels and heating ducts. Not only that kevlar is an aramide fiber which takes special tools to cut and machine which the average person doesn't have access to; such as water jet cutters and cloths pin drill bits. It's almost impossible to sand without the fibers fuzzing up and repairs are made with epoxy resin systems and S glass.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 09:40PM

Pysco,
You need to re register with your full name (per the rule at the top in red) as this post will be automatically removed before many see it.

Incidently, graphite is a carbon fiber so all graphite blanks are made of carbon fiber

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster