I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flipping blank comparable to Helium?
Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 06:28PM

The local tourney bass guys are all sold on Kistler Helium LTX and LTA flippin' rods, many trading in their Loomis flippin sticks. They like the light weight as well as the action on the Heliums. Are there any opinions out there on really good alternative blanks? Looking at 7'6" or 7'8", fast action, heavy, for 14-30 pound line. I've been looking at Graphite USA blanks, but any other suggestions? These guys are real picky and will take lots of convincing.
Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping blank comparable to Helium?
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 06:45PM

I built a Helium for a Kistler pro staffer...he provided the blank...

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the blank, considering how some of those Kistler fans will rave about them. It was certainly no Legend Elite or GLX. The walls weren't exceptionally thin, diameters weren't anything that stood out, it didn't feel overly light in the hand. Not that it was a bad blank, it just wasn't a blank that made me go "Wow!"

At the time, it was my understanding that Kistlers blanks were Rainshadows. And the pro staffer I built for told me he had modified many of his Helium handles and more than one blank actually had a Rainshadow sticker on it under the cork. The blank I received had no markings on it at all so I can't confirm who rolled it for Kistler.

Try out the Rainshadow blanks if your guys like Kistler so well. I think the ATC flippin' sticks would be very comperable.

Step up to a Legend Elite or GLX if you really want to wow them with a light weight stick.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 07:08PM

Tom,
I agree with Matt if you want a really nice blank you can't beat the GLX's. I've built a bunch of them for a buddy who's a semi pro bass guy and he absolutely loves them. I have another friend who is sponsored by Kistler and yes they are a nice light rod but he's broken a bunch of them. And not in car doors either. I'm not sure off hand if the GLX's are availble over 7' but I've built on four different blanks and they are very nice. Randy.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 07:31PM

Thanks, Matt & Randy,
I've heard that Rainshadow/Kistler story from several people. As far as the GLX blanks, the bass guys I know are mostly dumping their Loomis rods for the Heliums. It's tough to watch the mass hysteria over the Kistler stuff, but then again, I'm (thankfully) just a trout fisherman. I'll check out the ATC and Rainshadow blanks. I'm just finishing an 8" 4WT Rainshadow flyrod, and it's a beauty. I'm really impressed with the fast action.
Thanks for your ideas.
Tom

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 08:00PM

I've repaired a few and wasn't impressed at all. Play the game and tell them your is filled with a argon/helium mix.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 08:44PM

Use hydrogen instead which is lighter and if the basser can not hook the fish they can blow them out of the water with the detonation of the entrapped gasses in the blank. Kistler's marketing guys are taking advantage of the Forhan techniques for weight reduction. At the same time they are reducing costs with less cork and jacking up the price. They may be doing all of us a big favor in the long run. Bass rod prices onward and upward! How many remember when the bad run of blanks Kistler used self detonated and almost put them in the poor house. Maybe they had too much gas pumped inside.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: January 29, 2007 09:44PM

Bill,
I am not going to make the obvious crack about you having too much gas inside, honest I am not.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:09PM

Must be the red beans and rice.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (71.61.26.---)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:26PM

Free Beano with the purchase of any Kistler!

Posted by: Russ Blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:51PM

Its all marketing with Kistler.......................Personally I think the tried and true Shikari FS 764 made a better flippin stick!

Try building on either the SCIV or SCV St Croix Flippin blanks..............those should wow the Kistler lovers!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:31AM

Emory: If I sent Trey Kistler some of the "boudin gut bombs" like the ones we sent to Woodland for the "party" last year can you imagine what his next promo would say about "gasses" in rods"!

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 01:54PM

Im building a flipping stick useing the rainshadow RX8+C865 the blank weight is 2.52oz. I weighed the components I will be putting on her with the blank it shoud all come out below 3.5 oz. that with the daiwa steez bait caster reel i use on it weights 5.5 oz. now weight his setup I think you would have the kistler beat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster