I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help with old wood lathe accessories/tapers
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2007 08:17PM

Hello fellow rodbuilders

I was just given an old (?) wood lathe that I want to re-accessorize for shaping cork grips. This lathe is a DUNLAP TOOLS / SEARS ROEBUCK & Co. model 534-0601. The base is cast iron and is about 40" long and the distance between the centers is approx. 30". It also has a 3/4hp motor (weighs a ton) and a set of 4 step pulleys. It runs nice! I know the spindle is 3/4" x 16tpi but I don't know what the arbor taper is. MT1, MT2 etc. ?? It came with a spur center (?) and a pin center at the tailstock.

Since I only want to start out shaping cork grips on mandrels, am I correct in assuming that I only need a Jacobs type drill chuck on a tapered arbor and a live center on the tailstock? I have removed the old centers but I have no idea how to tell if I need MT1, MT2, or whatever! Is there any way of telling by measuring?

Anyone out there have this old lathe, or know where i could look to find some info on it? Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Rog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with old wood lathe accessories/tapers
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 28, 2007 09:07PM

Roger; I am in the process of overhauling an old Sears wood lathe as we speak. I am making a cork lathe out of it. I reamed an MT2 taper in my cast iron tail stock for a live center. It did not have a roller bearing live center, now it does. Tomorrow when I go to the shop I will measure an MT2 taper and let you know what it is. I dont think I ever saw a number on one.There is quite a bit of difference between an MT1 to an MT2. The Jacobs chuck I put on the head stock is identical to yours.
My tail stock will only have a live center since my mandrills all have a counter sink drilled in the ends. Although There may be someone on board here that have the measurements handy.
I will e-mail you tomorow with some info.
JBH

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 10:28PM

Jay, I have an older one as well. My tailstock does not have a roller bearing either, but it is just a cup with a point that is attached to a threaded (female thread) type coupling. Was yours this way also? If so how did you change it?

Tony

Date: January 28, 2007 10:57PM

Hi Tony; Unhide your e-mail address . Lets cut down band width usage here on the board.
I will shoot you an e-mail, can explain how I did it, very simple.
Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2007 11:08PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: John Cornwell (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 11:32PM

Go to McMaster-Carr [www.mcmaster.com] and click on "drill chucks, arbors & keys" under the Machining & Clamping heading.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 11:33PM

I also have an old Sears lathe and have not got it running yet and am following this thread
with great interest!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 29, 2007 12:04AM

Hi Ray; Spend some of that rusty money and buy a new one, we are just poor boys over here !
Let me know if you need anything, I will try to help. She will make a good cork lathe.Shoot me an e-mail.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: January 29, 2007 12:10AM

John;;; Great info, Thanks . They give all the measurements anyone needs ! There you go Roger !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 12:11AM

Yes John,
Got that page bookmarked!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 12:14AM

I am currently using an old Craftsman lathe. I am pretty sure it is from the 50's and seems very similar to the description that Roger gave. I had to re-wire the motor, get a new chuck and tailstock. The chuck is a craftsman 4 jaw 3/4 X 16 and the tailstock is a MT2. There are adapters to convert MT1 to MT2 and vice versa if need be. This lathe is absolutely perfect for general wood turning as well as cork! I just wish I would have bought a 3 jaw self centering chuck as like would be much easier then! I also have a ShopSmith from the same era that I could use as a lathe but I am comfortable with what I am using now so I may get rid of the ShopSmith. I don't think that I will ever turn cork on a blank, just too many risks and reaming cork to fit is a snap!

John

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 07:16AM

Thanks all for the answers to my question. John, the McMaster-Carr tip was exactly what I was searching for!

Rog

Posted by: John Cornwell (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 08:33AM

Well I'm thrilled to be useful, especially since I joined this group only a week ago and don't know diddley about rod building. Let me correct that -- I've been getting help from the nice folks on this forum for a week, so I NOW know diddley. Last week I knew sub-diddley.

John Cornwell
Huntington, NY

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 29, 2007 09:09AM

McMaster Carr is certainly good. But if you are on a budget, check ENCO also. Owned by MC, I think, but carry imported tools at a much lower price than the good stuff at MC.

Almost all Sears lathes are #2 morse taper and sears carries accessories. You can get a Jacobs chuck on a threaded shaft that has the #2 taper on it. Penn State is also a good place for lower cost accessories. And Harbor Freight has some, but be careful there as they tend to import the cheaper and lower quality stuff.

A standard 3 jaw self centering lathe chuck is very good for turning inserts, etc. But a little more dangerous on a wood lathe than the more streamlined and smaller diameter chucks for turning wood. But if you run it at low speed and keep your hands away from the jaws it is hard to beat the accuracy and gripping power of a standard 3 jaw.

Date: January 29, 2007 12:09PM

John Cornwell; This Board has such a varity of Rod Building knowledge and experiences, it will amaze you. And their willingness to help US that are in the "Diddly" catagory is wonderful.

Bill Moschler; I agree, Shop around for quality and price. And safety,,,,, I am very cautious when it comes to rotating equipment, I have seen a number of hands and fingers damaged over the years. And a large number of accidents are caused by not knowing how to use strips of sandpaper on a lathe. My old rebuilt wood lathe will be used ONLY for chucking up mandrills and turing inserts and cork.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 02:06PM

Jay, I think my e-mail is unhidden now. If not my e-mail is: tpoliti@optonline.net

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 03:47PM by Tony Politi.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 02:51PM

I have a 1980 Sears wood lathe with a 3 jaw self centering chuck [Penn State] and a live center [#2 taper] on the other end. Long ago took off the belt cover as I'm constantly changing speeds for different jobs. Did not use it much for the first 10 years but have used it almost daily since 1990. Have a full set of Andy Dear's mandrels which work like a charm. Unlike most of you who are going to turn cork, I use mine for turning my encapsulated grips and hozels, I use very little cork. Jesse

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 29, 2007 03:22PM

I have the same lathe and use it for cork and reel seats. I got a nice record 3 jawed chuck at WoodCraft a few years ago. Sears catalog has most accessories and I've picked up some centers on their clearence table. Penn State would be my choice if I ever got another chuck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster