I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding spine on stiff sections
Posted by: robert knox (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 09:55PM

Im trying to locate the spine on the butt of a 10 wt. 4 piece. In the past Ive only built light rods and havent had any problems rolling them by hand. Ive seen the spline finders but was wondering if I could work with what I have. Heres my question, If I put the section in my dryer rollers on the very ends and then push down in the center of the section does this not locate the spline down. I plan to build a spline finder next week,but would really like to glue up the seat soon. also what kind of finder do you guys like the best. I need to go do the dishes. Thanks

Robert Knox

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding spine on stiff sections
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 10:01PM

Can't speak for others, but I always build to the straightest axis and disregard the spine

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2007 10:36PM

Check the FAQs page for your answer.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 01:17PM

Hi Robert, IMHO, if the section doesn't flex easily enough to locate the spine, then I wouldn't spend too much time or energy trying to locate it. On the multip-piece rods that I have built or have bought, the vendor warns against spining the sections because they are so much more shorter than one or two-piece rods, and may be subject to stresses that might cause them to break. They may have already marked the spine inside each ferrule opening. Check to see if any marks appear inside the ferrule. Having said all that, I would agree with Mike's post regarding the straightest axis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster