I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Epoxy Ramps
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 26, 2007 08:24PM

What kind of epoxy and do you add dye to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Ramps
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 26, 2007 09:51PM

I use 5 min epoxy for ramps. With the rod turning. I gob the epoxy where the blank and reel seat meet . Raise the tip a little to get the ramp angle that you want. The turning of the rod will give you a nice smooth ramp right to the edge of the seat. You can color the epoxy but I Just wrap right up the ramp and when you get to the top, just put a small dab of Super glue to hold the tag in pace and tape the end out of the way. Put finish on and when it's dry, trim off the loose end flush. Makes a nice looking transition.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2007 10:41PM

Fred,

I do the same as Mike-he taught me. BUT you dont have to wrap the ramps, you can use testors and paint them while the epoxy is still warm-works GREAT and soaks in for a permament bond-or you can marble them as well or BOTH. I usually do both and they really look NICE.

DR

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 12:58AM

Rod Bond works well too, just takes longer to set up. Nice thing about it is that if you don't like the shape redo it.
Color can be added using paint pigments such as those used in marbling. Adding pigments will slow the curing of all epoxies. And will decrease the viscosity.
It sure is fun to do concave, convex or straight ramp.
Joe

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Date: January 27, 2007 06:25AM

Once cured, do you sand/shape the ramp before wrapping it up?

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 08:41AM

Most of the shaping is done w/ a finger wetted w/ alcohol while the blank is turning. I do sand where it transitions into the foregrip and blank.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 09:48AM

Why go to all that trouble.......I just make mine out of thread....apply epoxy.....done! No shaping, coloring, sanding, and alot less trouble.

Date: January 27, 2007 11:21AM

Bruce,

Sounds good, can you explain how you get a smooth, gradual ramp that tapers from the blank all the way up to the edge of the reel seat or foregrip with just thread? It would be easier.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 27, 2007 01:16PM

I use 5min epoxy and never touch it to shape it with anything other than the brush I'm applying it with.. Do it WITH the rod turning! and let the epoxy flow evenly and it wil take on a nice perfectly round shape....take me about 3 minutes to do one if that.

DR

Date: January 27, 2007 01:40PM

Bruce,

I'd also like to know how you get the "thread" ramp stable? Do you epoxy over it? and how do you get it "solid"?

DR

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 27, 2007 05:39PM

I do mine exactly like Duane. I just take a toothpic and dip it in some testors black pigment and use the same toothpic to mix and apply the epoxy while the rod is turning. You can then take the edge of a alcohol moistened coffee filter and use it to get a nice smooth edge on the blank if needed. One word of cation. The only problem I have ever had, is it is possible to get a big air bubble trapped in the corner where the blank meets the seat that always seems to surface right at the end of the curing cycle when it is almost too late to do anything about it. When this has happend to me (twice), I let it cure, fill it in later and wrap the ramp in thread to hide it. Too prevent it, I just let the end of the toothpic drag in the corner where the seat and the blank meet early on while applying the epoxy and my problems went away.

TJ

Date: January 27, 2007 08:01PM

Here's one I just finished Fred

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 27, 2007 08:16PM

Duane, thats awesome fella! Got to tell ya, I'm nervous as ---- about doing this. Especially w/5 min epoxy.. Tilt the rod up, in a dryer and just let it flow and fill up cavity? Oh man, I see potential disaster. It is times like this that I wish I could learn, hands on from a Grand Master of this craft. In person.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 08:52PM

Don't sweat it. I was nervous as all get out too the first time I tried it, but after you do it you'll wonder what all the worrying was about. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row ready to go, mix, and apply. Just don't spend too much time mixing. I usually mix for a min. or less with no problems.

TJ

Date: January 27, 2007 09:47PM

Fred it's quick and easy, If you're nervous, glue a cork rong on a piece of scrap or dowel and give it a try. I fill the end of the reel seat with Rod Bond when I install it so the 5 min epoxy is doesn't flow into any cavity. I just SLIGHTLY raise the tip of the blank up, depending on the angle of slope that I want

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: January 28, 2007 01:02AM

Fred,

Listen to Mike!!

He's got it. I dont use Rod Bond however...., I use the same 5min epoxy, stand the rod on end and fill the space in the seat LEVEL full to the EDGE of the cavity. Once set, then I'll proceed on to making the ramp itself while the epoxy in the reel seat I just poured in is still warm. I build the ramp in about 3 mixes of 5 min epoxy. Mix about 2CC, get the ramp going, when it sets mix 2 more CC, build the ramp up and get it shaped close to what you want, then mix whats needed to finish the ramp. Sometimes I can do a ramp in 2 mixes. but most of the time I use 3 as it alows me more time to make a nice ROUND perfect ramp. I started using 30min epoxy to "learn" with. It is more forgiving becasue it gives you more time, but once you do aq couple with 30min, that makes the 5 min EASY because you're not wasting 25 minutes playing with it!

Like Mike said, try it on scrap a couple times and you'll get a good hang of it.

One more thing, I sand that reel seat edge for good adheasion of the epoxy, I do the same with the blank as well.

Shoot me an email and when you're ready to try one I'll call ya and we can walk through it on the horn of you like.

DR

Date: January 28, 2007 10:58AM

Duane that is interesting that you use more than one application. I only use one, but I think I too am gonna practice your method on a dowel and scrap cork to see how it turns out. When you guys talk about filling the space in the seat, are yall talking about on an exposed blank seat? I have been using a foam arbor on those and reaming to fit. Are yall just leaving the arbor out and filling it with epoxy?

TJ

Date: January 28, 2007 11:34AM

Just re ferring to any space left at the front of the reel seat if your arbors don't totally fill the area.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: January 28, 2007 11:48AM

TJ,

Like Mike said, we're only filling the LEFTOVER space that the arbor didn't fill completely....usualy it's VERY LITTLE space. Doing the ramp in 2-3 parts (all while the epoxy is hot/warm to the touch) not only creates a nice ROUND ramp, but it creates a stronger ramp as well. Kinda like 3 laminated parts.

DR

Date: January 28, 2007 01:42PM

Ok, that is what I figured. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I usually glue my arbor in before I cut off the excess threads, so I usually don't have any leftover space.

TJ

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster