I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blanks for Surf Rods
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.propel.com)
Date: January 25, 2007 08:58PM

Any recommendations, preferably based on actual fishing experience, of the best performing (yes, I know that's subjective, but I'm asking for that) blanks for surf casting, throwing six and (separate question) eight ounce bottom rigs? My actual intended use is drum fishing at the Outer Banks, but treat it as a question of best blanks for throwing 100+ yards in moderate to high surf, including in wind. Cost not the major factor, performance is. I'm going to be building for myself and for family/friends. Some of us prefer fast action rods, others slower loading ones. Both casting and spinning configurations in lengths of 10-12 feet are in the mix. A Search on this subject here didn't turn up much that helped. I'm looking not only for specific blank recommendations, but also for the reasons why. Yeah, asking a lot, but what better place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blanks for Surf Rods
Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2007 09:39PM

Hi Tom
I have a few models they would fit your description, I can cut you an good Deal on the MP1 Surf from CMW Germany, I only have two left and we can't get them for a while, demand in Germany is to big they have none left for us till summer. Check out my Blanks www.munichrodmansrodshop.com, you will cast more than 100 yards way more.
Best Regards Mark Crouse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2007 04:49PM by mark crouse.

Posted by: Allen Sarbida (---.k12.hi.us)
Date: January 25, 2007 10:43PM

[www.donstacklehawaii.com]
[www.talongraphite.com]

Try these two sites.
They give you information about thier rods. CTS Makoi rods should have something that you are looking for. I have not toss these myself but have heard nothing but great things about them, Ask Don Becker (he's on here). The Talon site has an array of rods to suit your needs as well. These are American made and have caught 100+lb Uluas here in Hawaii so they can catch fish. Also, here in hawaii many casters are able to cast these with their 4/0-6/0 setup with 100+yds casts with 6-12ozs leads and bait or none (slide set up).
If you can find somewhere on the mainland (contenintal US) that carries Outcast blanks (brought in by one our local rod builders) they are very popular here, that line also carries an array of rods to suit your needs. One last one,Killwell, they have a cross woven texallium blank, 14' that is killer, really light and nice backbone.
Hope this helps.

ARS

Posted by: Anthony Pantuso (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 25, 2007 10:56PM

Tom,
You wont go wrong with any gator glass blanks. I have caught monster reds to 6-8ft sharks on them and they are an awesome rod in the surf. The "POMP" are medium-slow action, and one piece blanks. You can get them from Mud hole, but the shipping would probably kill you, because they are one piece blanks. Other good blanks for the surf are 2-piece Lamiglas rods, and 2-piece Seeker rods. Just browse Mud hole, they have an excellent selection.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2007 11:03PM

Call Robert at fishstix4u He will give you good info on the rainshadow Line. GOOD PEOPLE!!

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 26, 2007 06:58AM

Surf fishing in Hatteras is my favorite pastime, so I'll tell you what I use/like. I have a 12' G-Loomis 1448 rated up to 14 oz's. I also have a Cascade 12' 6" 1509 that I trimmed to 12'. The Cascade blanks are no longer available, but the Rainshadows are just like them. The two rods cast very similar, but I like the Loomis better......It's hard to describe why, it just feels better when you load it. I've thrown up to twelve ounces with both, and they still feel like they have some left. If it takes more than that to hold bottom, I'm usually heading back off the beach. If I had to build another one I would look at the Purglas line. They are becoming more popular on the beach, but can be hard to get in some areas. Hope this helps some.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2007 08:29AM

Look at the Lami GSB-1502, or the similar blank Mud Hole Tackle branded LSB1502MH.

Also look at the Rainshadow SU1508F or its more powerful cousin SU1509F.

Any of these blanks make excellent heavers for drum fishing the point. I am somewhat partial to the 1508F since it is easier to load with my old arms. I would not recommend the 1509F a beginner or novice surf caster since it is quite stiff and if not loaded right during the cast feels like you're casting with a solid not flexing rod. I build quite a few surf rod from these blanks, they are quite popular.

Lou
Virginia Beach, VA

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2007 09:21AM

Tom , If you are comming to the show in High Point we will have Rainshadow , CTS , Harrison , and Tommy Wheelers surf rods in our booth. It will be a good time to hold these blanks and see how they feel in your hands . I know holding is not the same as fishing , but you can tell a lot by the way a blank feels.

Robert

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: January 26, 2007 02:12PM

Robert, are Tommy Wheelers rods the new ones that are starting to get some publicity on the Hatteras fishing boards called "WheelsReels" or something like that?

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2007 05:52PM

Burton , yes they are the ones . From what I understand there might be some new blanks there that he is coming out with if he can get them done in time.

Robert

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.wdc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 12:51AM

Another rod to consider is the Rainshadow 1569. It is close to perfect for casting 8 and bait a long ways. I prefer it over my 1509. It is also comes in two equal pieces.
Ray and Robert can set you right up. They are great to work with. Good luck. Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster