I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadwork with chapped hands!
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 04:26PM

I'm having some problems with very dry hands this winter and it is giving me fits when working with thread. The thread sticks to the rough dry skin and is creating fuzzies. I'm talking about cracks and bleeding here! We've been installing a new communications network and I've been outside doing antenna work.

I am hesitant to use lotions for fear of contaminating the thread. I have some Working Hands Cream that works good but haven't tried wrapping after using it. Maybe I'll do a test tonight.

One thing I tried and it worked was sanding my finger tips with 220 sandpaper. I know it sounds weird but I heard about that trick for removing CA from your fingers.

Anyone else in a dry climate that can relate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadwork with chapped hands!
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 04:36PM

I have the same problem in the winter time.
Sand 'em down and super glue the sore cracks and bleeders !
My wife yells, "You're crazy "!
It works !

jay

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 04:58PM

Try latex surgical gloves, you can buy a box inexpensively and they come in handy when working with epoxy, etc. Be sure to get the "unpowdered" kind so you don't have to worry about contamination.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 05:21PM

I got the same problem from working outside, along with cuts.cracks and splits. I cut away a weave the other day because the thread was to much of a pain to deal with , and after picking up the ball of thread, I had to ask my wife to get it off my hands, acted like velcro.

Good idea with the sandpaper . I'll try sanding them with 220, then maybe a 400 wet.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: January 24, 2007 05:27PM

I've seen Mike's hands, I swore he could ream out Ebony & Cocobolo reel seat inserts with his pointy finger. I've got computer person's hands, I fortunately have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Date: January 24, 2007 06:03PM

Was doing a Forhan wrap on little BLAG 6's yesterday , when I used 2 fingers on my left hand to loop over the guide ring , the "A " thread went right in a crack on my index finger, I cried tears big as horse droppings. That's when I got out the crazy glue !
Will blood show through FC ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2007 06:05PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 06:25PM

I'm sitting here laughing! I didn't think I was alone. I was also doing a Forhan wrap on a fly guide and frayed the thread so bad as I went around the second time I had to redo. Superglue works great on skin. It stings less than having an open crack.

I have some blue nitrile gloves that I will try. I always wear gloves when I use epoxies, but I've never tried wrapping with them on.

Michael - the velcro comment cracked me up! Been there!

I'm going to do a Myth Busters on the Working Hands Cream tonight and see if it affects the wrap. I'll let you know if any of these ideas work.

Thanks!

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 06:40PM

Chuck
About 8-years ago I vowed I was never going to do another rod because nothing I tried would cure my dry, rough, cracked hands. The local pharmacist would recommend "the strongest" stuff he had and it would not work -- even the stuff for diabetics. I would put the stuff on and sleep with white cotton gloves on my hands. Finally, my wife purchased a bottle of stuff much less expensive than what I had been using and, without gloves, it worked. I still use it each night upon going to bed, just once a day (it isn't greasy if you rub it in and it dries quickly) and my hands are usable and, needless to say, I'm back doing rods again -- hallelujah! It is a clear, aloe gel by Fruit of the Earth. Their website lists retailers. It worked for me. I hope you find a cure for your similar problem -- rod building becomes a great joy again. /s/ Bob

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 06:45PM

Michael Joyce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got the same problem from working outside, along
> with cuts.cracks and splits. I cut away a weave
> the other day because the thread was to much of a
> pain to deal with , and after picking up the ball
> of thread, I had to ask my wife to get it off my
> hands, acted like velcro.
>
> Good idea with the sandpaper . I'll try sanding
> them with 220, then maybe a 400 wet.

Follow up with some fine jewlers' rouge and a quick buff & you're good to go. ;-)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 06:51PM

Bob - Thanks for the tip. It looks like it's widely available.

Chuck

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 07:18PM

220 grit, in a Dewalt palm sander with dry hands and light pressure follow up with a 400 wet...not tooo shabby a result, especially my thumb (did my nails too with 400)

Good to go.

Note: I do not recommend this procedure to ANYONE, but had to at least try it

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: robert knox (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 09:35PM

Im fairly new to rod building but not dry, cracked hands. Building homes in Montana I am always having some kind of issue with my hands and fingers. If its not cracks in the winter then its tree sap, oil base stain, or chain saw oil. I have found something that works year round.

I help my wife with the dishes after dinner. The warm water and soap with conditioner keep my hands cleaner and softer. It also has a huge effect on our relationship. The benefits are amazing. Just dont tell her why I really do it.

Robert Knox

Date: January 24, 2007 11:05PM

It's called "tricks of the trade",,,,Very clever Robert !
You can rest assured no on on this board would EVER tell her the real reason !

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 11:18PM

Ditto on the Aloe Vera Gel.....Don't have dry, cracked and bleeding hands in the winter.....My problem is my SCALP. Makes brushing your hair in the morning VERY interesting. My father has diabetic hand and uses a product that he swears by but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the stuff and I BUY IT FOR HIM? I work quite a bit with large animals and swear by Bag Balm....But I know that it WILL bugger up your wraps.

Ray....Are you watching this post?.....Your hands look terrible.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2007 01:21AM

Yes I am Derek and NO I won't help with the dishes!!!!!

LOL!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: January 25, 2007 11:44AM

I have the same problem as you guys, my hands crack and bleed, etc. I got some prescription salve from a dermatologist, called clobetasol .05%. it works wonders. As far as smoothing down your hands, you can buy special sanding bars or sanding material on a plastic paddle, that you can smooth your skin out with. Just have your hands wet, it works very well in the shower and or bath, and if you were in a sink. The main thing is to not go too much, because with the water, you do not feel the effects of abrasive material, and may draw blood or make the skin too thin and subject to more cracking. These sanding blocks or paddles can be found at Walmart, Kmart, or any drug store, and cost about 2-3 dollars. They last for a long time. Works good on the feet also.

Posted by: Patrick Hoppe (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2007 04:11PM

heres a trick I use, as I work outside and am an RN also, so I wash my hands easily 100 time a day +. Before you start your day use a moisture barrior type lotion first as that will help seal and protect what little moisture we have then every time you wash apply lotion of choice but avoid any lotions with alcohol. This also works great with ice fishing. The medical grade lotions are free of any frangrance and once the lotion is worked in there should be no transfer to thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster