I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One Coat Expoxy
Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 02:58PM

I've heard that an epoxy called "One Coat" is pretty good for finising wraps - I can't find a source for it - anyone have an idea where I can order some?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One Coat Expoxy
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 03:17PM

if you cant find that then try U-40 Duragloss LS Supreme...very clear and pretty easy to work with and 1 or 2 coats is pretty thick

i just recently started using it and i have nothing bad to say about it

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 03:26PM

There is a finish from Epoxy systems (or something like that) called "One Coat" Bingham used to carry it but I don't see it on their site. Personally, I think that Threadmaster is the best thing going. I've tried a lot of them and haven't found any that can match it. Just my opinion

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2007 06:12PM

The last time I talked to them, they did not seem to really want to bother with the custom rod builder. At least not on an individual basis. I've used the One Coat product from Epoxy Coatings Company over the years and find it very similar to Flex Coat, albeit with a bit shorter pot life. Not a bad product at all, but perhaps one that has been outdistanced by newer formulas from other companies.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 06:39PM

Threadmaster is the only way to go

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 09:59PM

Threadmaster must be the way to go, I have never seen a new product take off like this has . When you sell a 4oz kit of some thing new people just want to try it out , but when they come back and order the 8oz or 16oz kit, that tells you it must be good .

Robert

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2007 01:26AM

U40 LS Supreme High Build is designed to cover in one coat. While penetrating and locking in the threads. It can be put on thick or thin. Very easy to work with and is clear.

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: January 25, 2007 01:54PM

Hi Cliff,
One coat finish is produced by Epoxy Coatings Company in Union City, California.This stuff was my favourite back in the eighties and nineties. it is quite similar to flex coat. It tends to "fish eye" a little easier than flex coat, but gives better adhesion, has less yellowing, and is tougher. I also found that it has less bubbles in a heavy coating. It has been desingned for fast turn around production which is why it has a shorter pot life. Its still damned good stuff. Daimaru is one company that was using it in Japan. IMO I found it really suited to heavier rods such as trolling rods as it does give a heavy coat, even with just one coat. The same company also has another 2 part polyurethane that is designed for use on white blanks because of its non yellowing properties. They also produce another product called Helor High-water. Best of all from this company was its color preserver which was the best I have ever used to date, but I have not tried them all.
I dont know of any retailers who sell this product, and believe that the company concentrates on manufacturing, but they will sell it by the gallon from the factory to rod builders.
Earl

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2007 01:58PM

Thanks everyone - got the contact info yesterday and confirmation e-mail back from the manufacturer that it is available by the gallon direct

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster