I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat CP feels funny
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 08:50PM

I'm using FlexCoat CP for the first time and I'm wondering if it has been applied and is dying correctly.

I applied two lite coats, 2 hours apart and it feels "rubbery" even after drying for 48 hours at 70 degrees. The wraps look good and the CP is colorless and uniform, I'm just surprised that it has this softer feel, than the Dale Clemens stuff I've used previously. I was also surprised at the increased viscosity over the other CP I've been using. Can I safely apply the epoxy or should I wait even longer for the FlexCoat CP to harden up?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat CP feels funny
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 09:02PM

Skip...

From my experience, I only use one coat of CP. I let it dry for about an hour and then apply thread finish. Did you shake the container well before applying it? The Flex Coat CP does have a rubbery feel when applying a little thick. I hope I helped ya.

Paul

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 09:48PM

Hey, Skip, it tastes funny, too!

Did you shake it up before use (like Paul asked)?

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 09:51PM

I don't think that more than one coat really does anything. Since CP soaks in and seals the thread, I don't think that the 2nd coat can penetrate the 1st coat. I just apply a heavy first coat making certain that the thread is 100% covered. Works for me.

The CP doesn't get real hard. I would go ahead and apply the epoxy

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: January 23, 2007 10:39PM

someone should tell that to Doc! .. watched his video and he says he puts on 5 layers of CP!

Mike, would uneven application of CP cause uneven colouration after the finish is applied?

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 10:51PM

I believe FC is latex based and latex is rubbery.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 11:36PM

Christopher,

I wouldn't THINK so.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.omega9.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: January 24, 2007 02:42AM

Chris,

Depending on the finish you use. When I apply one layer of CP followed by the first layer of Super Classic Coat, when it dries, you will get an uneven finish. However, after the second coat of SCC, everything will flatten. This never happens when I apply SCC directly without CP. Also, if you use ThreadMaster instead of SCC, this will also not happen. That's my experience. Try it on a scrap and see for yourself.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: January 24, 2007 03:18AM

mine seems to have uneven colors, thats why i asked.. think its best i stick to TM.

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2007 09:10AM

Flex Coat uses an acrylic CP which is never going to dry as hard as something like epoxy. You do want it to fully dry before you apply epoxy. At least overnight in an area at room temperature is best. But even then, if you give it the thumbnail test it's going to feel soft and rubbery compared to an epoxy or urethane finish.

One coat is usually all that's required. If you feel better applying two, go ahead - it won't hurt anything. More than that is not needed.

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 09:55AM

Thanks for all the responses. The color is even and the "rubbery" feel is apparently normal so I'll go ahead with the FC epoxy tonight. As for shaking it, I did that and also made sure the container was at room temperature before applying the stuff so I guess a little higher viscosity is also normal.

Skip

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2007 11:39AM

Shaking causes bubbles - better to stir it. Just something to remember the next time out, that is, if you're having bubble problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster