I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping guides finished with permaglass - how difficult?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 07:41PM

Stripping guides finished with traditional finishes is no problem. Sharp knife, a bit of patience and off they come.

However, have not done this with rods finished with Permagloss. It's my preferred finish but I've not stripped any. Is it any different or much more difficult?

thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping guides finished with permaglass - how difficult?
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 08:40PM

Check out my responce post about 7 threads down on a topic about "stripping guides off a production rod " which happended to be a GHumis blank. Loomis uses a thread exopy I just thought was permagloss in holding capasity and I'll never do one again as it is very time consuming.

They recently did a test where they mearsured the amount of weight it took to pull a SF guide off a blank at a 30 dregree angle, bare sz "A" thread took 4-5 pounds, Now coat those threads with standard thread epoxy (reduces stretching and unifies the thread, ***note the thread never broke in any of theses tests) and the pounds it took increased 5 and 6 times to 25-30 pounds. Using permagloss the pounds needed almost went off the scale he was using, at least doubling the strength/holding capacity, of standard epoxied thread. So if it is that much stronger or unifies and denys stretch that much more efficiently, I imagine it is much harder to remove than just about anything else you will ever encounter, BUT let one of the stone cold repair experts chime in on the degree of difficulty it takes to remove a permaglossed guide, they may have a trick to defeat permagloss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2007 08:45PM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 08:44PM

Thanks Chris. Read that and also did a search. (I think I had a brain fade which is why I did not do a search first.) Question answered. Thanks again Chris.

Mo

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: January 23, 2007 09:31PM

Apparently this issue will be tackled in the next issue of RodMaker magazine according to Tom in one of his posts regarding Threadless wraps.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 02:06AM

Mo
Stripping Permagloss finished guides is much easier than stripping epoxy finsihed guides. I've stripped hundreds of them, and it is a pleasure compared to stripping epoxy. Tough as Permagloss may be, all you have to do is cut the threads on top of the guide foot, remove the guide, then the threads will stay intak and simply peel off the rod finish and all. No big lump of epoxy to scrape away. Peel off the threads and the rod can be cleaned with the judicious application of Scotchbrite, and you are ready to build anew. Its another story and another world when attempting to remove the Permagloss from a threadless guide. This job makes the removal of epoxy finished guides look pretty simple.
Ralph

Date: January 24, 2007 09:50AM

I am not one to question the "Mighty Quinn" when it comes to repairs of any sort. And not that I have removed any permaglossed guides, SAVE for that G-loomis production rod I had a devil of a time stripping, MAYBE loomis used NCP thread and that allows the epoxy to really saturate to the point where I thought it was something significantly stronger than regular thread epoxy in tested holding strength. Bolstered by the fact that removing regular thread epoxy, flexcoat in most instances has not been that difficult to even be noted, compared to what I thought was on that Loomis rod. GO Figure

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2007 11:46AM

The only problem in getting the PG wraps off, is getting the thread cut on top of the guide foot. If you've tried it, you know the stuff is extremely hard. I've used a file to shave it off the thread and then cut the thread with a razor blade. At that point, the wrap will peel off as easy or easier than one done with epoxy. But don't take this to mean that PG doesn't provide a stronger wrap than epoxy - it does. It's easier to remove because the thread doesn't tend to tear out of the PG. It comes off in one piece, usually.

Date: January 25, 2007 10:10AM

When removing and guide; the hardest part to remove is not the thread on the guide foot, for me its the added tag OR the epoxy that spills onto the blank and seals it. This is where alot of blanks get blemished and then have to be guided in the same spot but often with a longer wrap to cover up a blemish. I like to know I can remove the guides and a retie them anywhere on the blank as after the removal process a blank looks brand new. AS with the no-thread securing of a guide, and an attempting to remove it, this on-blank sealing of the thread would have to be a most difficult aspect of removal especially if permagloss were involved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster