I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Insert wood suppliers
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: January 22, 2007 11:37PM

One of the pleasures I get from building fly rods is the process of turning down the wood for the inserts, trim rings, and accent pieces. Maybe it has something to do with wood shavings flying everywhere or maybe it's the surprise of the look of the final product (buckeye burl is a great example of the finished product being completely unpredictable). My problem is that I can't seem to locate a supplier of appropriately sized, stabilized, burl blanks. At the moment I'm trying to locate some afzelia burl that's about 1" (round or square) and 6" long. Does anybody know of a steady supplier for exotic stabilized woods?
Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insert wood suppliers
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 01:22AM

Steven; I just sent you an e-mail.
jbh

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 02:05AM

Give these a shot...

[www.anexotichardwood.com]
[www.woodworkerssource.net]

Both stock much more than is listed on their sites. You might try sending both email.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (216.166.138.---)
Date: January 23, 2007 10:50PM

My question is why do you need stabilized wood? Three or four coats of thin CA will provide as much protection as you need, save you a lot money and open up a whole new world of woods you can use. CA is easily polished too. It is a very common finish for high end pool cues. Just don't buy the CA at a big box store.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 12:37PM

"My question is why do you need stabilized wood?" from Gerry,
There is a 100 reasons to buy stabilized wood, the main reason is less chance of warp or splitting.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (216.166.138.---)
Date: January 25, 2007 09:56PM

Only if you are paranoid about it or go around with the insert immersed in water all the time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 26, 2007 12:59AM

I would probably take a wild guess and say that probably the VAST majority of wood inserts and grips are made with non-stabilized wood. Properly finished wood should never be a problem on a rod. There are probably 10's of 1,000's of very old wooden handled boat rods that have withstood many years of abuse on fresh and saltwater charter boats and are still functioning well. I agree that stabilized wood is very hardy and attractive but also very heavy and expensive. I use both and like both but I'd like to hear the 100 reasons with a little more specifics.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster