I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reelseat question
Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 11:26PM

Hello everybody. I have a question to ask about affixing the reelseat to my rod. I'm building my second rod, and it's all worked out great so far. I ordered the Fuji exposed seat for my rod and ordered it in size 10. My question is, how do you guys make the seat ID to fit. Reamers? Or should I use my Dremel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reelseat question
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 11:36PM

Chris,
I build quite a few FW bass rods with exposed seats and try to use a seat that is somewhat snug on the blank. It's usually gets pretty snug (not tight) on the reel seat behind the trigger and I only then have to use a very thin layer of masking tape as a bushing for the forward part. I like to fit the seats somewhat snug so there is no gaps between the reel seat exposed edge and the blank. I use Rod Bond and have never had one loosen up this way. Just how I do it. Randy.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 11:38PM

How far off is it now? I've carefully reamed the exposed reel seats with a larger rat tail file many times. I sometimes have to dress up the exposed area, but not often. I just go slowly, look often to ensure I'm taking the same amount off all sides, and don't over-ream by checking fit often, also.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 12:38AM

It's about an 1/8" or so off, but that's just a quick measure. I shouldn't have any problems with the front and back, they'll fit fine. Just the ID. I'll measure again and try the file. Thanks guys.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 01:09AM

Likely a 10.5 or 11.0 would have been a better fit with less reaming, but I've reamed 8.5's to fit rods I'd used 11.0's for previously. Just take your time, eyeball it frequently, and test fit it one the blank each time you make a revolution with the file.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 10:49AM

Chris,

I also use reamers I made 5 or 6 years ago that I can use on a drill, they work well. As Randy said ream the reel seat slow and check the fit offend and you will probably need to clean and dress up where the blank is exposed through the reel seat.

A word of experience, if you use a reamer with some type of grit always check and clean reel seat out before sliding it over the blank when checking the fit or installing it, because if there is a piece of grit in reel seat from reaming it will scratch the blank.

Lynn

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 10:54PM

Randy's advice is pretty sound.
Some times if I have a seat that is a lot too small I will use a drill press and get closer to the size needed then finish by reaming it out. if you do use drill go SLOWLY and back it out often to clean out debris, as the drill can grab the seat and spin it out of your hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster