I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss over paint?
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 07:00PM

I want to paint some accent on a rod.. like this one here.

[www.daiwaseiko.co.jp]

I have some permagloss. I would like to coat the paint with the perma to protect the paints . Would perma be ok for this or will it melt the paint or something. I was going to use lacquer and enamel hobby type paints.

Thanks all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 07:03PM by Henry Engle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss over paint?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 07:28PM

Why not just color the Permagloss????? I'd test the PG over paint on scrap first. I would let paint cure for at least a couple days.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 07:55PM

I painted a white blank with neon enamel paint and applied Permagloss for a final protective coat. The Permagloss dissolved the paint. After stripping it all off I repainted the blank with the same paint and, shen dry, sprayed a sealing coat of Krylon Crystal Clear. When I then applied Permagloss it set up perfectly. The Crystal Clear provided a good protective barrier for the paint. Even so, I strongly suggest you run a test on scrap material first. Krylon Crystal Clear or Matte Fixative will probably do the job. The Crystal Clear is glossier and I believe it is more permanent. Only use in well ventilated areas. I work outdoors when spraying paint.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 10:00PM

Thanks guys, I tested it on something I painted days ago it melted the paint. So now I have a problem :/ . Is the Crystal Clear tough enough to just use as is or does it need permagloss over it to be durable enough for the fishing world?

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 08:58AM

I have never used Crystal Clear as a top coat. I don't think it would protect from abrasions very effectively. Permagloss is far more durable and, when applied in liquid form, provides a much thicker coating. Two low level coats of Permagloss make for very good protection from abrasions and the elements.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 09:54AM

Permagloss is top of the line, but I have several rods coated with 3 lite coats of spar urethane that have held up pretty well.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 20, 2007 01:45PM

PermaGloss is a moisture-catalyzed (poly-)urethane formulated in a XYLENE solvent base. XYLENE is often one of the major components of mixed-solvent brush cleaners or paint removers, and that is why it often will damage a raw painted surface.

**XYLENE** is a mixture of the 3 isomers of Di-Methyl Benzene (ortho-, meta-, para-). It is very similar in properties to Toluene, then Benzene. Xylene is also called XYLOL (on tin cans of it in the hardware store), although there are no alcohol groups (R-OH) in the molecules of Xylene. Xylene is strictly an aromatic hydrocarbon. See [en.wikipedia.org] for MSDS and more extensive information. -Cliff Hall (Chemist, Bach.Sci.) FL-USA.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 07:12PM

I have used peragloss over spay paint, but you have to let the paint cure for a long time. I let my paint set for 2 weeks, probably overkill but it worked. I'm sure this has been covered on here before, try doing a search you should be able to turn something up. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster