I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jacobs Chuck Question
Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: January 19, 2007 09:41AM

Greetings All !!!

I have a question concerning the Jacobs Chuck. I purchased one from Harbor Freight and recieved it. It looks great BUT I need to mount this where the live tail stock goes on my new Turn Crafter Pro lathe. (Pics coming soon of all my new xmas toys!!!)

Where can I get that piece that threads into the back of the chuck? I looked for one but can't seem to locate one.

Thanks Guys

Scott Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jacobs Chuck Question
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 10:43AM

You won't need it. Just put it in your tailstock snug with a twisting motion and while drilling just hold the chuck with your other hand. Drill in small increments and you won't have any trouble with the chuck coming loose'.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: January 19, 2007 11:38AM

Are you saying you have a chuck without the morse taper shank to put in headstock or tailstock? I am not sure you can buy it seperately, at least I couldn't find it at Harbor Freight, or by a quick google search. I would try calling Harbor Freight and explain to them what you are needing, they may be able get you one or may allow you to swap what you did get for one that has the morse taper shank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2007 11:55AM

You can buy a morse taper shaft that will fit into your chuck from most woodworking or wood turning stores.

A few of the Jacobs type chucks do come with a threaded bore, in which case you need the appropriate morse tape shaft that is threaded on one end. They're a bit harder to find, but they are out there.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 12:17PM

i got an MT2 shaft at rockler just last week..i'm pretty sure they had others

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:05PM

Scott,

what you need for that lathe is an MT2 taper chuck like this [www.pennstateind.com] It just pushes in to the tail stock

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:59PM

Try Grizzly Industrial. Typically drill chucks don't come with an Arbor. Drill Chucks used in drill presses (not your hand drill) generally have a taper on the inside known as a Jacobs Taper (JT) and come in the following sizes; JT2, JT6, JT33 (mine are mostly this), JT3, or JT4. Some will have internal threads but most have the Jacobs Taper. Drill presses and lathes typically have an internal taper in the spindle, most likely MT2 or MT3. Milling machines usually have an R-8 spindle. So to match your drill press, lathe, or milling machine you buy an arbor to match the taper or spindle of the machine with the taper of the drill chuck. My drill press and lathe headstock have a MT2 taper, my lathe's tailstock has a MT3 taper. The drill chucks I like to use (keyless 1/2" chucks) have a JT33 taper. So, I have MT2-JT33 and MT3-JT33 arbors. Most full size woodworking lathes and mini lathes have MT2 tapers in their headstock and tailstock. Smaller mini lathes will either have a MT1 or MT2 taper in their headstock and/or tailstock. If yours has an MT1 taper then you'll probably have to go with a chuck that has a JT2 taper (3/8" drill chucks mostly). If your lathe has an MT2 taper then you can use chucks with JT#2, JT#3, JT#6, or JT#33 chucks (3/8"-1/2" capacity chucks).

Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: January 19, 2007 09:12PM

Mike

You are absolutly correct this is what I need. I will be buying one today. The one I got at Harbor Freight was only $3.99 so it is no big deal

Thanks for all the info guys

Regards

Scott Ryan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster