I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow XST steelhead rod
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 17, 2007 07:46PM

Hello fella's

Anyone built on these yet and any thoughts im thinking about getting the 9''6 model # xst 1143 f seems like an ideal small river spin rod for floats and jigs in the great lakes .......................any info is appreciated ..................Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow XST steelhead rod
Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: January 17, 2007 08:09PM

Robert,
I have not built any of the XST1143 yet but have built numerous IST1143 and recently built two XST1084. I liked the IST1084 a lot as a light to medium Steelhead drift rod but I like the XST1084 even better and I anticipate that I will like the XST1143 even better than the IST1143. I think that the XST blanks, at least the ones that I have seen, really are outstanding. Plus the concept of using different modulus material in different sections of the rod makes a great deal of sense to me.
By the way they also have a very attractive finish. It appears to be almost exactly the same color as some pieces of titanium that I have.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: January 18, 2007 12:40AM

I've been debating picking one of these blanks up, just wish they were shorter. What do you guys use 9'6 steelhead blanks for? Using slip floats on rivers?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 08:14AM

The 9 ft 6 in blamk is a pretty good compromise the an all around rod length for many presentations for salmon and steelhead. When drift fishing keeping as much of you line out of the river as you can gives you a more natural drift, it also makes mending easier. Same reason bobber and jig rods are long, you want to reduce the amount of line on the water between you and the bobber so the river current doesn't mess up your presentation due to line drag. It's also about as long as I like to go if throwing spinners or spoons. Than there is the weight and balance of the longer rods, usually over 10 ft 6in and I'm not smiling as much all day.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 18, 2007 09:14AM

Hello Phil Spencer is right a 9''6 rod suits best for an all around rod here the only time i would go longer is with a centerpin rod and this rods primary use would be for floats and jigs with a spinning reel for smaller water .........i built a 11''6 last year and hated it..its amazing what a 2 foot will change for my personal use anyway to each there own i guess. that and i had a hard time landing fish from banks by myself some strecthes you can only have small handled wading nets and if you cant beach the fish that @#$%&............

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:57AM

I'm starting to feel old. Everybody used 8' - 8 1/2' blanks for steelhead when I started. I still build mostly that size. The XST 1025 is a perfect fit for me. I was lucky enough to get one of the first available and it made a beautiful steelhead rod. The next one will be longer and just for fishing floats. As Emory mentioned, they are a great color and look super with TI guides and graphite tube grips.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 09:24PM

I hear you Grant, I used the8 ft 3 in Fenglass rod for many years with great results, problem is there aren't as many fish in the water as there used to be and many times more anglers on the water after those same fish. You have to try for any advantage you can get, I bring multiple rods now like the bass angler's for different presentations and fish a lot harder than I used to. The 1025 blanks both in RX7 and RX8 are great blanks that have actions much like those old rods, light tips and heavy butts. I built my Mom's rod on the RX7 blank ,it's her "go to" rod and it done her great service over the last few years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster