I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st guide placement
Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.dsl.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: January 17, 2007 12:06PM

What's the reason for placing the 1st guide 4" from the tip on lighter rods? Most of the charts I've seen recommend 4.5 or 5" for 5 weight fly rods. It seems like moving the guides closer would increase weight at the tip of the rod, making it recover more slowly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st guide placement
Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: January 17, 2007 12:25PM

Curtis,
I think that you hit the nail on the head. The closer to the tip the first guide is the lower the resonant frequency of the rod will be which means that the slower it will respond. If you look closely at the stiffness profile of most blanks, the way they flex, you will notice that the first few inches do not flex much at all. If the first few inches are not flexing there is no strain in this area and therefore no need for a guide to distribute the stress.
Where the first guide needs to be for line control is another issue but again if the rod is not flexing in the first few inches then I see no reason for a guide to be there for line control either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2007 12:27PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 17, 2007 12:44PM

I place the first guide anywhere from 4" to 5" from the tip top depending on the action of the blank, 4" for fast action, 4.5" for medium fast, and 5" for medium. I disagree with Emory: there is definite bend in the first few inches, especially when casting aggressively or bringing a fish too close to the fisher. I like to distribute stress as evenly as possible throughout the most fragile part of the blank

Date: January 17, 2007 01:09PM

Jim,
I do not have any argument with where you are placing the first guide but with most blanks there is very little deflection in the first few inches regardless how you deflect the blank. The stiffness profile of the blank does not change if you deflect it dynamically by casting or statically by just pulling down on the tip. It is the same regardless how you deflect the blank. In fact as you put more and more of a load on the blank you will notice that where it deflects most moves toward the butt of the blank and the tip portion tends to actually deflect or bend less with larger loads on the blank.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 17, 2007 03:28PM

I think one reason for keeping the first guide close to the top is to minimize the risk of breaking the rod at the top if it is inadvertley angled past 90 degrees away from the load and stressed.

Date: January 17, 2007 03:45PM

Bill,
You will not break the rod in the first few inches by high sticking the rod. You will break it back several more inches where it is flexing more. The highest stress is where the highest strain (most flex) is. High sticking usually results in the rod breaking more like 8 to 18 inches from the tip well past the first guide.

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.dsl.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: January 17, 2007 04:18PM

I did a static test this morning on the 8.5' 4 wt Forecast that I'm building. It doesn't bend at all in the first 5 inches. So, I decide to place the guide a bit farther down.

It's a weird blank. It seems to bend mostly at certain nodes, remain straight in short sections, and make a smooth curve in a few spots. Also, it easily flexes 1/2-2/3 of the way down the blank. That surprises me after reading the CCS ratings and H&H's description. I'm afraid that I won't like this rod very much...

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 10:13AM

Over the years I've learned that Emory's advise is right on the money. If you flex your blank at the "fishing position" (line coming off at 90 degrees to the lower section), you'll see what he's talking about the initial tip section being rather straight with the flex being further down the blank. But if you stretch a string from the tip to the butt section and make it look like a shephards cane at the top (aka high sticking), this could mislead you into to thinking you have to space your tip guides closer together.

Long ago I built a Sage XP 10' 7 wt and used their spacing recomendations. The 1st guide was 5 7/8" and I tried my best to figure out why it shouldn't be closer. But when the blank was flexed from a 90 degree pull, the first 12" or so were relatively straight and the major bend was in the 18"-20" range. And becasue the guides on this rod spaced a bit further from the tip section than on my other rods, it actually cracks like a whip!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 02:48PM

That's exactly what I think Tim. I've static tested many 6 to 6 1/2' M spinning rods this winter and ended up placing the first guide at 5 inches or more. No matter how much weight I put in my bucket there is not much flex in the first 5 inches at all. In fact, i would place the first guide even farther from the tip but it looks weird.

That's just what I've found.

Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster