I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy problems
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 06:24PM

I now know what problems my northern countrymen experience while trying to epoxy finish rods during the winter. The temperature here in Houston has been hovering 34-38 degrees all day long. The temp in my rod room has been hanging in at 70-75 degrees. Normally the temp in my room is 80 degrees year round. Just that small drop in the temp made the epoxy hard to work with and would not level out as it normally does. I wound up taking as much of the finish off of the guides as I could. I will redo the rod in a couple of days when this cold spell blows over. Since it only gets this cold once or twice a year I did not think to prewarm the epoxy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy problems
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:07PM

Well, it was 17 below yesterday morning here in da frozen tundra. I usually have the rod room around 68 degrees all winter. It's always a fun time getting it level. I use lots of swing arm lamps with 60 watt bulbs to help me out, Ellis.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:24PM

what type of epoxy are you using ellis? it only gets down in the 40-50s for about a month out of the year here (florida) its still 80 degrees all day everyday....i just got some Dura Gloss LS Supreme to try out (i was using flexcoat and it yellows extremely fast)

68 degrees!!!!!!! 68 is cold! i keep my house 76 all year haha ;)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:36PM

Hey Ellis,

I assume you're talking about Threadmaster (what else) Just nuke it for a couple minutes or stick it in your pocket for 5 or 10. It should be fine

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.lcwireless.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:37PM

Because New Mexico is in the middle of a cold (sub-zero) spell, I brought my portable heater into the room where I epoxy. I turn it on (low) for an hour before I start and the room temperature gets to be a nice toasty 80. When I'm done with the drying, I turn it off to save money.

BTW, for those of you who think that New Mexico is all desert, we got 38" of snow over New Year's. The NM ski areas loved it!

JB

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:43PM

I too would nuke the parts for a few 'seconds'.

I also have a small space heater in my drying room. I actually don't apply epoxy in that room...only have my drying motor in there. I use it even in the summer months as I usually work with Aftcote and the drying times tend to be longer with that product.

Ellis, would hitting the wraps with short bursts from a flame not be enough to get the leveling you needed?

Jay

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:56PM

Ellis,
I assume you're still using ThreadMaster. 70-75 degrees is actually optimum for any finish ....I applied TM to a rod in a room that was 60 degrees last week w/o incident, but I did warm it slightly first. If the bottles were stored in a room above 68 degrees you can certainly microwave them for about 5 seconds, but that should really only be necessary if they've been stored below 68 degrees.

You're lucky it hit 38 in Houston....here in the Hill Country it's been in the mid twenties and we've had lots of snow and ice.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 08:28PM

Yes it was Threadmaster. I noticed that the air bubbles were not popping out as they normally do when I mix it. So now I have a nice thin finish on my guide wraps and all is not lost. No Winston footballs here. I normally apply two coats of finish and tomorrow I will again apply a very thin coat. No harm done, it just surprised me to see epoxy thicken. It has not happened before but it rarely gets cold here.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 10:52PM

Hate to gloat Andy, but I will!!!! 20's is considered above normal here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 11:40PM

I understand your problem as I find most epoxy works easier above 70 degrees but come visit Putter or me when we are finishing rods this season of the year and you'll be happy to get back to 70 to 75 range. I really think it is a matter of getting use to the temperature ranges you must deal with. I can maintain my work room at 70 when it is minus 20 degrees outside but if you get within 3 feet of a window you notice a definite temperature drop.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.acsalaska.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 12:39AM

Here in North Pole, Alaska (64 degrees North Latitude) I thought that was the way epoxy always behaves-- didn't know any different! Now I am all anxious to see what I am missing.... or maybe I don't want to know! Might spoil me. Oh well, May Halibut, June Kings, July Reds and August Silvers will make up for all the cold wx blues. Maybe this is the angle I need to convince my wife to let me attend your rod builder's exposition. I could teach a sectional on using epoxy in cold weather. Class to be held in the hotel walk in freezer. Bring your parky!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.ssimicro.com)
Date: January 18, 2007 12:42AM

-20 must be nice!! Last Friday it was -50 with the wind chill here in the land North of 60.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 09:41PM

-50 is insane thats not cold! thats insane...how do you live in that!? i cant even take 20 degrees F let alone -50C!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 18, 2007 10:45PM

Heck we were out ice fishing on Saturday and the ambient temp was -25 before the 20 MPH wind. Don't even want to know what the wind chill was.

When you are talking about epoxy and cold temps not flowing out evenly it is not just how warm it is when you mix it, it cools pretty rapidly while you are applying it and won't flow out very well from there. That is why you hear of people from the nothern climes breaking out torches other forms of heat, that those from the south say are totally not necessary.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.ssimicro.com)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:42PM

jon edwards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -50 is insane thats not cold! thats insane...how
> do you live in that!? i cant even take 20 degrees
> F let alone -50C!

Spend lot's of time tying fly's, building rods & the occasional ice fishing trip.
But when it finally warms up.............it's time to hit the water & the best Lake Trout fishing in the world!!!

[www.arcticangler.ca]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster