I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How Do I Remove This Reel Seat?
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 12:36AM

Help! I need to replace a reel seat and handle but i dont want to damage the blank. Ive used a heat gun but havent had any luck. Is the reel seat still salvageable? Is my only option cutting it off? I used Rod bond to put it together and it is about a year old.

Calvin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Do I Remove This Reel Seat?
Posted by: dave carr (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 01:09AM

If it was a manufacured handle that your reamed and glued you may be able to cut it off carefully with a dremel. If you build your own handle on the blank cork ring by cork ring inserting and gluing in the reel seat with epoxy ,then compress before sanded to fit your hand then you are screwed as you will never get it apart without damaging the blank. With this method there is a lot more epoxy holding it on to the blank.

Posted by: Paul Gerdtz (124.185.110.---)
Date: January 16, 2007 02:43AM

Cut it off with a 4" angle grinder with a very thin cutting blade, you will only have to cut down one side of the seat then use a screwdriver and gently pry apart

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 16, 2007 06:57AM

I prefer to use a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade. I'll take a spiral cut just barely through the seat, then pry it apart. The cutting wheel is probably faster, but one slip, and you're into the blank. I like the positive control of the hacksaw better.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 09:16AM

You can cut it off with ease if you use a Dremel tool with a small ball burr. Once you cut through the reel seat a straight slot screwdriver will peel the seat right off. If you practice with the Dremel tool you can even remove a tip top the same way. A word about using the Dremel tool when you use a ball burr always pull the tool towards you do not push the tool. You can not maintain control of the burr if you push the tool away from your body.. And by all means use both hands.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 11:50AM

If you are really trying to save the reel seat, have you tried a few minutes in a deep pot of boiling water? Heat gun may not be giving you a deep, consistent, and penetrating heat.

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 01:48PM

Either way i think this reel seat is trashed however way i try to take it off. I used the heat gun on it for a while and it got so hot i had to use oven mitts to try to pull it off. Didn't budge. Earlier i wasnt too sure about the capabilites of Rod Bond but so far ive been quite impressed.

If i break an SAGE XP blank does sage warranty with another XP blank section or do they send you the new current model that replaced it?

Calvin

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 03:00PM

Why is everyone so afraid of cutting the blank? You cut it and plug it back together and it is now stronger than it was in the beginning. It's just an "OLD WIVES TALE" that you are ruining the blank if you cut it . If it's pluged under the reel seat you have lost "NOTHING" Get out of your "MIND SET" and get with the program. Jesse

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 10:28PM

Dont argue with Jesse`s wisdom.I have done this several times and it is not detectable.I still have several people scratching their heads as to how i saved the handle.Thanks to Jesse.Hope to see you in High Point and thank you in person.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster