I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tica long distance reels
Posted by: Jeremy Adams (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2007 07:00PM

I have not heard much about tica spinning reels and was wandering if they are a reliable brand.
I am looking for a long distance spinning reel that holds a large amount of 25lb test. the rod I will use is a 15 ft ugly stick.
If tica is not the best then what are your recomendations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tica long distance reels
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2007 07:46PM

Jeremy,
TICA makes good reels, I sell what I use and use what I sell. This goes for all my rods I build & the componants that go in to these rod & reel set ups.
TICA CYBERNETIC GG 100 Series, line size/yards, 20/480 , 25/390 , 30/330 , 40/230
I caught a 52# YFT , offshore, with a purpose built rod , 7' E-Glass , cut down 8'
Built the rod with GG100 reel in mind.
The DOLPHIN SERIES spinning reels for surf are great, I recomend all of TICA's line of reels

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 12:49AM

The finish on Tica spinning reels has been a problem for many. Others love them,

Saltwater and especailly surf fishing condtions are extremely harsh. For this reason I have avoid low end equiipment in these applications. Quantum spinning reels are far superior in every way. They are built much better and have an exceptionally durable finish. Rust resistance is also vastly enhanced. These function very well and are well worth their hiigher price.

Equipment that will prove worry free in a hostile environment costs much more to build. Tica reels and all in that price range just cannot possibly be built well enough to take that level of abuse. If you're planning to use the rig more than a few times per year I strongly urge you to buy a quality reel. You do not need to invest $500.00 plus for one of the truly waterproof reels that are built from Aircraft grade billet aluminum alloys.

The Quantum Boca PT reels selling for about $140.00 are a great choice. They have models holding 310yd/17# and 330yd/20# mono. This is a good price for a reel that will serve you well. To me this is a good basic entry level spinning reel for serious surf fishing. The next up would be the Quantum Cabo PT series. The extra $80.00 will give you a more refined machine and, for me, a more pleasant fishing experience.

Penn spinning reels are used by many and are a good choice as well. They can be prone to clogging and are not as modern in their design (not just looks) and manufacturing as the Quantums.

When you get enter the high priced range of surf and salt spinning reels you would expect superb all weather performance and a light weight package. The weight reduction is accomplished by using carving the reel bodies and gears from blocks of very high qualtity metals.

It used to be that to get a very reliable reel for the surf you had to spend for one of the high end models. To me, Quantum has done much to bring many of the advantages of the best reels into the mid price range. They still are heavy in comparison, but agan, weight is not easily reduced without the use of very costly materials and processes.

There is a definite need for a lightweight, waterproof, strong and reliable spinning reel for surf condtions that can hold the amount of line commonly needed and sell in the $250.00 range. The Nautilus by Mitchell was one attempt but was still heavy. I look to Quantum to be the company best suited to fill this void.

Sorry for taking your question to such lengths. I recall a friend showing me a Tica reel after only one day's outing in his kayak. The reel looked like the skin had literally peeled away in many places.

On the other hand, I would not hesitate to take even my tiny Quantum Icon into the salt if I was seeking small bait fish. Let me stress the importance of a good tap water rinse after each outing. I dry and apply a light spray of WD-40 as added insurance.

Buy a good reel once and take care of it. That is my suggestion.

Posted by: Patrick Hoppe (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 04:32AM

tica makes a great reel but compair prices and features with shimano and don't forget to wash your rods and reals after use with a little dish soap

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 07:11AM

Dollar for dollar Tica is unbeatable. I now fish a Taurus 400, a Taurus 500 and a Van Staal 150. I have tried and had bad problems with both Shimano and Diawa in the past, and have had no troubles with either Tica or Van Staal, but bear in mind you can buy 4 Taurus for one Van Staal. If you need a large capacity and more weight to balance your rod, I would give serious thought to a 6000 Tourus. Taurus also includes a 6000 spool when you buy the 5000 reel (the 4000 comes with an extra 5000 spool and the 5000 with an extra 6000 spool) but you do not get the extra weight you might need to balance a 15 ft. rod.

Posted by: Jeremy Adams (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 11:31AM

thanks for the Info. I will look into the Quantam reels. I have heard of them but never had any personal experience with the reels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster