I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod How Old?
Posted by: Tony Knight (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 14, 2007 04:08PM

I came across some Gudebrod thread on wood spool 1200yds
How old would it be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod How Old?
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2007 04:49PM

I think I was still getting some wood spools from CalStar a close as 2 or 3 years ago. Not sure but then I got them in wood spools in the 60s too.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 14, 2007 06:01PM

I was still getting Gudebrod on wooden spools somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's. There was also a period where the spools were made from something that was similiar to a dense styrofoam material.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 06:09PM

Tony, If it sounds like a good deal.....To make it worth your while, and if possible, take a close look at the quality of the thread. Unspool a foot or two and check for color, strength, and "fuzzieness" (for lack of a better word).
Light will quickly bleach the color out of thread if left out and exposed to light. Pull on a good length of thread. If it breaks easily, pass it up. I just experienced a major problem with thread that is barely a couple years old. I wrapped a rod blank with thread that was full of fuzzy threads. I came across this a couple of years ago and was successful in burning off the fuzzies to end up with a nice clear finish. However, this is not the case with this rod. Just after the first soaking coat applied, I knew I was going to have trouble. Each wrap is now finished with epoxy that looks like I embedded each wrap with dozens of spikes. No amount of slicing or trimming will resolve this problem. I am going to have to completely re-wrap this rod over the next few days with a new spool of good thread to finish it to my satisfaction.

Good luck,

Patrick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2007 06:24PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 09:06PM

In the early 90s I bought closeout from a going out of business sale lots of Gudebrod thread that I still have a good amount of. It is all on wood spools. I haven't had trouble with it breaking while wrapping.

Patrick I was going to suggest burning off the fuzzies prior to finishes but I see you already tried that. usually that takes care of the problem.

Lou

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 09:56PM

i have a few spool on wooden spools and they are fine....they have them for sale at one of the tackle shops i goto that builds custom rods and such for $1 a spool and its all the colors they no longer need/use....$1 a spool for 100-900 yard spools cant beat it and the thread looks brand new

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 10:34PM

A while back I got a "great deal" on a box of wooden spooled Gudebrod NCP White in size D on @#$%&. All seemed great until I was wrapping under power and the thread started to fray. Turned out that it would fray every few feet. Now I only use it for building up narrow arbors for fitting reel seats, etc. If you cannot inspect the thread before buying be prepared for the possibility of some hidden problems.

"Ya' pays ya' money and takes ya' chances"...

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 11:50PM

I still have lots of older Gudebrod thread on wood spools, I've had some of it for years, others are less than a few years old, but I can't say when they quit making wood spools.
As far as having any problems with the older thread, all of mine is stored in drawers, away from heat, light, and dust. Some of the real old thread isn't as clean or fuzz free as the newer stuff, but I figured that was just the norm for the older nylon. I have several colors that I bought in sealed boxes, so it would be safe to assume that it was made that way. None of it is so fuzzy that a coat of FC High Build won't cover it, it's just not as smooth as the newer NCP colors. I mainly keep the old stuff around simply for repairs, they come in handy matching an older rod. I've bought out a few older shops as well, which has given me a pretty good selection of the older colors. I have never had any strength problems with any of it, but I don't suppose any of mine has been exposed to anything that could have aged it on the spool. I could see that there would be a problem with old thread that may have been kept in the sunlight or extreme heat over the years.

I would guess that the best way to determine the age is to go by the label on the spool if there is one. Looking at all of mine, there have been several labels over the years. Most of mine are laying loose in the drawers though, they seem to drop off pretty easy, or get worn off on the spindle of the wrapper.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 12:14AM

Lou, I did that. I'm pretty sure the spikes were the result of burning off more fuzzies than I could even count. One or two on each wrap ain't so bad, but they're literally all over on the whole circumference. I need the wrapping practice anyway. :>)

Besides, It's better to do the wraps right rather than spend more time correcting errors.

Posted by: Tony Knight (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 15, 2007 04:12AM

Thanks

I have had no problem with the quality bar one scarlet red which was not in a sealed box all the rest where but it is strong and no fuzzys I havn't caused my self the label is quite old looking though but at 2.50 aus for 200 yds is good value can caust up to 9.00 for 200yd roll here

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 02:30PM

Gudebrod started using plastic spools in the late 80's. The first ones were not as strong as needed and many spools broke while still in the box. I was building rods in a tackle shop then and we sent over 100 broken spools back to Gudebrod from just that one shop, I wonder how big a bath they took replacing them world wide? It was in this time frame that National Thread [ Merrick] came on the market and their claim to fame was "We use wooden spools" Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster