I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy vs Permagloss
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: January 14, 2007 05:58AM

I don't make that many rods but when I do I like it to be a well designed and a well executed creation.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of thread cover with either epoxy or Permagloss?
Is one better than the other - why?
If one is better why do we do both - there must be something in each process?
I am soon to be making a rod for myself and it wil be an expensive task and I am considering Permaglossing the threads
Help me out here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy vs Permagloss
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 08:06AM

Permagloss is like water, super thin, no-mixing, cures very fast and stinks to high heaven. It leaves a very thin coat on the wraps and gives that "old school" look where you can still feel the wraps (unless you use numerous, numerous coats). Epoxy is thicker, requires careful 50/50 mixing, takes much longer to cure and covers thicker with less coats giving more of a glass look. I don't know if one is better than the other, they each have their own unique uses. Permagloss is usually easier to use for coloring blanks while epoxy works better for marbeling. Randy.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.atlsf)
Date: January 14, 2007 08:14AM

Robert,
I am not an expert by any means. And there are others here that can give you a more complete answer but I will share my feelings.
I have used both. My wraps finished with one coat of epoxy look better - smoother, more even finish, cannot see or feel threads.
My wraps finished with 2-3 coats of PG are not as attractive - see & feel threads. If I use more coats I can't seem to get as even a finish as the epoxy because it dries so fast it does not flow.
But, and it is a big BUT - I am concerned with weight and how it affects the action of the fly rod. I also wish to use ceramic guides. So just to keep the weight as low as possible I am happy using 2-3 coats of PG .
Also, studies have been made - and you can find them on this site - that shows PG to have much greater adhesion properties.
Bottom line - I use PG for my personal rods for performance.

Posted by: George McPhail (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 09:56AM

I am fairly new to this craft too. I have been using Guidebrod 1 part rod finish on my thread wraps. It is thin and requires several coats but it does not give off fumes and dries fairly quickly. After 3 or 4 coats the finish looks smooth and has a nice shine to it. The lack of fumes is what I like best about this product. The rods I have put together work well so far. Any long term issues with this product that I should be worried about??
Thanks
George

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 10:57AM

PG is stronger than thread epoxy in unifying the threads so they can achive a greater potential of their overall strength before the guide foot slips out due to stretching of the threads, adding epoxy increases the hold, more specifically lessens the stretch by a factor of 6, taking some 27-30# of pull (At a 30 degree angle) remove a guide, permagloss has an even higher rerturn. PG is air cured and saving it once air replaces the product in the bottle can be difficult, there are ways to combat this occurance, I've added BB to bring the fluid level up to full before, but also had several bottles once opened rock up solid,(even kept full) resulting in tossing them. PG is also a great finish restorer and uses the moisture in the air to cure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster