I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe chuck
Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 07:07PM

Does anyone know if this chuck will hold a 1/4" mandrel? I'm thinking of purchasing a lathe (penn state) but am on a budget. I know I would probably be better served with a nova or even the barracuda, but I'd like to know if this one will work. Thanks all.

TJ

[www.pennstateind.com]

Sorry Tom if I'm out of bounds posting this link.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe chuck
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 07:39PM

Tim, I think it would not go below 3/4". The discription states " Holds work from 3/4" to 2-1/2" inside, and up to 1-1/4" outside"

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 07:42PM

The Jacobs chucks from Harbor Freight ($9.99) will do fine for holding a 1/4" mandrel.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: January 12, 2007 07:46PM

Jim,
I could be wrong, but when it states that those measurements for the "inside", I think it may be referring to hollow objects like pipe and using the outside of the jaws and "out clamping" so to speak from the inside of the work piece. I could be wrong though. You would think that a "mini" chuck would be able to hold things pretty small.

TJ

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 08:07PM

I dont know about that one, but I think it was Andy Dear that said that this one [www.pennstateind.com] goes down to next to nothing...check with Andy to be sure.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 08:40PM

Tim,
The C3J4 is the one Andy Dear suggested to me. It is almost identical to the chuck on the Clemens and Renzetti Rod Lathes. The locking bars on my Clemens Lathe are slightly hollowed on the flat end; whereas the same area of the C3J4 is flat. I think I had to reverse the locking bars on the C3J4 when I got one for my Jet 1014. The flat end works best for round objects.

It closes down to almost nothing but, just as importantly, it can open wide enough to accomodate almost anything you may need to spin. This chuck is the definite winner. It is well worth the extra $15.00.

Date: January 12, 2007 09:03PM

Thanks for the responses guys. The C3J4 looks like a pretty good deal to me and with my limited knowledge I have not been able to understand the reason why some say you need the chucks with the pin jaws like the Nova and Barracuda if that particular chuck would hold the 1/4" mandrels. The upside I see to the chuck I posted is (if I understand the "inside" and "outside" deminsions correctly) is it has a 1.25" capacity.

TJ

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:09PM

It looks like it goes down to a very small opening, say an 1/8" . The specifications say that it holds work from 3/4" to 2-1/2" inside diameter (like pipes, or the bowl bases), and up to 1-1/4" outside diameter. So, we don't know how small of a mandrel it will hold but it will hold a mandrel 1 1/4" diameter.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:46PM

This one will work for 1/4" mandrels.

[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 11:24PM

The reason for the Nova's etc. aren't for mandrels you need 4 jaw self centering for boring, turning square stock or anything bigger than 1 1/8" (max diameter of the C3J4 I use the C3J4 for mandrels and the Penn state Utility 4 jaw for everything else.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 13, 2007 12:14AM

Mike,

Would it be feasable to turn the stock using the supplied spur ends down to a diminsion that could be chucked up into one of the above mentioned chucks, at which point you could then bore to the appropriate size, and finish off the material on a mandrel? I realize this method would be slighty more inconvienent with having to change out the spur center for the chuck, but would it be feasable and still yield good results? I'm really not trying to make things more complicated than they are, I just want to go the most cost effective route possible. Thanks guys.

TJ

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 05:19AM

Remember,,, masking tape will build up the mandrel to meet just about any chuck. Works for me in my wood lathe chuck, which only goes down to about 3/8 " or so.

<*)))><

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 07:57AM

Tim,
That would work That was the only chuck I had for a long time until I added the Penn State Utility chuck and it just made life easier. But you are still limited to a max of 1 1/8" diameter stock and if you are drilling a handle, etc out you should drill it first so that when you turn it on a mandrel, it will be concentric to the hole.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 11:39AM

you will buy that then in a short time will need to buy another to accomodate other projects. the utility chuck they sell is a good deal and i use one all the time. it will allow you to grow to other projects if you get several different jaws. i suggest getting a 4 jaw chuck. it allows you to hold a mandrel and square stock to center bore your pieces.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster