I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lightweight!
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:20PM

I posted some pictures of an SCIV I just did.

I'm not bragging, but just wanted to say thank you to many that post such a wealth of info here, and in RodMaker magazine! I learned a lot from you folks.

I did Rich Forhan's SSGTN handle but I substituted 1/16" aircraft ply disks instead of poker chips because I hate working with plastic. I aso used the Concept version in the library above. I need to dress it up a bit more but the decal is not here yet. It is a St. Croix 4S63MXF with Fuji Titaniums (TYSG & TLSG). It weighs in at 2.6 ounces! I have some more pictures (one of it on the scale) but I am getting a thumbnail! Error code: 1 when I try to post more.

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightweight!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:23PM

If you'll remember to select a category to put your photos in (and they're not overly large - 900 pixels square is the most you need) then you should be okay.

Date: January 11, 2007 12:25PM

I chose Member Gallery and they are 800x600.

Duh - that's not a category. I just learned more!

More pics posted.

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 01:48PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:25PM

Where's th reel seat???????

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:31PM

Chuck - nice work . The only things I would add would be a Z-bend hook keeper between the grips (left side) and use of my locking wrap on all single foot guides and the hook keeper. I also use St. Croix's decal between the grips - as you will be doing. St. Croix's series IV - built in the manner you have - is as good as it gets.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:31PM

For the record, next time you might want to limit the number of photos of the same rod you throw up there at one time.

Date: January 11, 2007 02:40PM

Rich - Thanks! That means a lot coming from you. I have done locking wraps on some rods but, honestly, I have never had a guide move in my entire life and this rod is a Walleye rig so it's not going to get worked too hard - if you know what mean. I still struggle with your loccking wrap on Blags so I just need to practice more. I am trying to locate PacBay dealer that is carrying their new hooklatch but apparently no one is. I will bend one out of stainless and put in on. I was going to put the St. Croix decal in the split and a decal/signature wrap above the foregrip.

Billy - I tried to just put them in my member gallery but I could not. It's too bad that they all show up in the new photos section...but what the heck. I'm a working man and just threw them all in on lunch break. I'm also over 50 so I need to do it when I think about it or the thought goes bye-bye. Forgive me. I didn't know that was a problem.

Chuck

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:56PM

It's not a problem, but you see how it looks on the New Photo's section and how it knocks off someone else's stuff. I thought if I stuck stuff in my Member Galley it wouldn't show up on teh Main page, but they all end up there. If you have some photo editting software you could post the same photos, but combine them into 2 or 3 pictures instead of 9. Of course if you don't have tht, you're kind of stuck.

Nice rod, had you put a reel seat on there the weight might have almost doubled.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:59PM

mmmm i looked very hard and i cant see a reel seat to save my life was this an oversite or a weight saving tactic VERY nice though

Date: January 11, 2007 03:03PM

Point taken. Thanks for pointing that out. I have Corel at home but nothing here at work to do that.

A reel seat would have inceased the weight. I'm not a huge fan of taping a reel on, but when it's 30 degrees and blowing 10 knots I am not a big fan of holding on to metal either.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 04:42PM

ever thought of graphite seats??? just a thought

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 06:23PM

Great!! Now just just have to match it to a 6.2 ounce $500 Daiwa Exist 2004 spin reel......LOL. Nice job.

Mo

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 06:37PM

A graphite reel seat weighs .9 to 1.1 ounces or so. Add to that the arbors and glue. No real seat weighs zero. Lightweight is nice for finicky walleyes 20 or 50 feet below the boat.

Chuck

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 07:43PM

Not to hijack the thread....that's also my cern with reel seat. Surely there's got to be other solutions for lighter weight reel seats. Airrus just builds the reel seat right into the blank directly for example.

Mo

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 08:49PM

What is the weight difference between an economy spin seat trimmed in the Forhan fashion & split arbor underneath (the epoxy needed should be negligable) and the large cork seat on the rod?

I like the rod...don't get me wrong...it looks amazing and I bet will be a pleasure to fish. I'm just wondering the weight difference.

The cork will for sure be much 'warmer' to hold onto on those winter days. I like.

Jay

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 08:57PM

Geez guys! I didn't invent the Tennessee handle! Where have you been? :)

FWIW - I am going to demo this to guide friends and tourney fisherman that want every possible advantage they can get. That's all. I don't think you can build a rod like this much under 3.5 ounces with a reel seat. Up here they drop a 1/2 oz jig down to 80' max on 4 or 6 # fireline. You need every bit of feel you can get. If you have ever vertical jigged finicky light-biting walleyes in northern Minnesota in the middle of October you will understand. It's not like a bass smashing a crankbait! It's like a perch farting on your jig from two feet away. We wear snowmobile suits and packboots and drink lots of coffee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 09:10PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2007 09:55PM

The "member galleries" was something in the software that was never meant to be used, or we'd have hundreds of them in the drop down category menu. By the time I turned it off, several had already set up that way. Now I'm afraid if I delete that group, those photos linked to them might disappear.

Just select one of the main categories when uploading photos. All photos will show up on the main page when they first arrive, but no photos are ever lost. You can click on the categories themselves to see the newest in each, or on the page numbers at the bottom to view older photos.

I did enlarge the number of new photos the page will display from the original 12 to 24, so most everything stays up a bit longer. But remember, none get bumped out of the system - they just move a page or so deeper when they leave the front page.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.92.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 01:18AM

Chuck,
Nice work! Not my style of rod but that is gonna be a nice stick.

On a personal note, I just gotta say that as a guy who grew up in northern MN, I love the perch farting reference! Never got into the walleye craze (though my dad, who is still a resident ice cube) loves them. You ever fished Black Duck up near Orr? Around those parts in my day it was a crime to be caught fishing with unleaded coffee!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 05:17AM

Skeleton reel seat with cork insert. The cork forms the arbor for the seat, and cuts the additional weight down a bit. As for a seat adding about 1 oz, wow, that's one heavy seat. With say a size 17 skeleton, downlocking, with the threads trimmed and cork insert that whole build might come to a tad over 3 oz. Still light.

Very nice effort there though Chuck. Looks great, once you get over the "what's wrong with this picture?" feeling. I love the Fire Opal glitter in the 1st coat of finish., and the cobalt looks sweet.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 09:02AM

Chuck,
Really nice rod. I am curious about what reel you’d use on it. Weight saving is also one of my obsessions and I’ve found it a challenge to find reels that perform well that are light.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster