I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sources for Grip Cord
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:03PM

I have pretty much exhausted all of my local sources for cord used for grips and I have just not been satisfies with the selection of cord diameters or colors. I have found web sources for soft nylon (no lubricants) thread and cord, but the color selection is limited and you have to purchase much larger spools than I would likely ever need.

The braided mason line at the big box stores and home centers DOES work, but the color selection is too limited and since most are poly, they do not accept dyes very well. Basically I want a more subtle in texture cord grip which means a smaller diameter.

I am looking for black, white (must be able to dye it), green, red, yellow, light blue, dark blue, and orange cord.

Looking for cord on @#$%& was a mistake, so I am looking for a little guidance from those a little better connected and likely more experienced than myself at such things. Now that my cord wrapping has progressed to where I am liking the results I want a little more variety in my choices. I fish hard, and cord grips look like the way to go for many of my personal rods

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sources for Grip Cord
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:08PM

Derek,

Colleen's actually picking up a load today and I THINK it had all of your colors covered. I'll drop you an email tonight after she gets it checked in.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 11, 2007 12:39PM

That would be great Mark....Need to place an order with you anyway.

Derek

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:41PM

I dye the masons cord frequently and have had zero problems doing so. I use the Rit liquid. Pour it ,full strength, into a container, soak my length of cord 20 to 30 minutes, hang up to dry and it works great. I have some that was dyed six or seven years ago--no fading, no texture changes etc. Depending on the application, i've left it bare, coated with urethane, coated with CP & epoxy etc.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 01:40AM

Derek,

Check your email. Earthlink often picks up "Acid" in my email address and blocks it unless I'm in your address book, so check your spam folder.

EDIT --> Earthlink kicked it back! Why don't you send me something and maybe I can get it to you via the reply button.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2007 01:48AM by Mark Griffin.

Date: January 12, 2007 10:29AM

oops.....OLD EMAIL ADDRESS.

Could have SWORN I changed that quite a while ago.

It has now been updated.

Sorry.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster