I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Durability of Black Chrome Single Foot Coating
Posted by: Frank_Mueller (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 03:58PM

Hy Folks, has anybody experiences in the abrasion resistance of black chrome coated single foot guides? I ask because some producers promise that the black chrome coating should be more durable than others. In fact I heard about from practical experiences that the coating in the ear of the guide might teared of from daily use. Is anybody able to confirm that?

Thanks for your answers ahead.

Regards, Frank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durability of Black Chrome Single Foot Coating
Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 09:05PM

Frank,
Durability of Black Chrome COATED Single foot Wire Fly Guides - What I can tell you from selling these guides for many years is that the Bamboo guys buy them "Traditional Style" To build cane rods. We sell more because the builders or MFG's like them for there cosmetic " Stealth" look/color scheme. I know ours hold up better in terms of wear on the Color /Coating than other "Brands". It is no secret that we Double Coat all of our Black Frame (DBC = Double Black Chrome) guides for bettrer protection againt wear and corrosion. (ASTM-B117 Tested, See pg 22 of Batson Ent. - Rainshadow/Forecast 2006/2007106 pg color -in stock- product catalog). Will they hold up as well as say our New X series (SS316) XSFGP - No,only because there is no Coating/Plating on this series,but with the same corrosion resistance. But if you are set on black then IMHO you can't go wrong on the Batson/Forecast product..(BLSFGP). I would like to see a better Quality/Affordable one like it if it exists.
IMHO it depends on the situation, application & environment of the guides use in the final fishing tools life.
If you have any other questions in regards our product line please feel free to contact us.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: January 10, 2007 10:14PM

G'day Frank,
Must agree with Bill on one very important point, if you don't look after the guides (rod) nothing will last.
Whatever you decide to do, good quality guides are just that. You get what you pay for and that is why you build or rebuild your own rod.
Wash the rod after each use and good gear will last a very long time.
When we sell a rod we supply a little maintenance sheet , which boils down to keep the rod clean at all times.
Good Luck
Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:03PM

The PAC BAY black guides do wear on the ear or inside of the guide, where as the Tich and TiGold do not wear at all even when using braided spider wire. As for this Black Chrome coating, I have not used them as I have found a sure thing and why risk another disappointment and retie. If Bob says Baton Blk Chrome guides hold up , thats good enough for me, although I do like to get a step up form any Chrome plated guide due to the FACT that Chrome results on the Vickers Hardness scale are below that of standard Alu Oxide ceramic guides, and other coatings have a higher rating. BUT to be realiastic, and not smear all hard Chrome coated guides with the same broad stroke, Bob is talking about a Double Blk chrome plating and I am not sure how that effects wear as I have not seen a Vickers hardness tests on this specific product. As for darker stealthy color/theme/scheme possibilities I like the proven Tich coating possibilites as they are close enough in appearance yet undoubtably durable

Posted by: Thomas Lyle (---.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 04:36PM

Hi there:
When chrome plating it's normal to nickle plate or do a nickle flash first then plate the chrome and is some times called double chrome plated. On some metals it's copper, nickle then chrome and can be called thriple chrome plated. The nickle plating is what gives that silver look to chrome plating and the chrome its hardness. To do a black chrome plating the nickle is reacted to make a black coating and is then chrome plated. Black chrome plating is not as hard as chrome plating. But TiC PVC is very hard when compared to chrome plating and can be made in gold, gun smoke or black. When comparing guides one needs to know if its a chrome plating or a PVC. I do know that the H&H guides with the black diamond like coating are super hard and don't wear much because of its PVC. Some Mfg. do use black chrome plating on there black guides. So one needs to find out!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 05:12PM

Are the black frame more resistant to salt water when not thoroughly rinsed with fresh water. I am wondering if the black surface is on top of a copper flash like some of the other coatings that tend to turn green due to copper oxidation of the underlying coat. I have never noticed any black frames go green.

Bill B. The move to 316 was a good one. Any coating applied will detract from its inherent corrosion or resistance to part failure - keep it like it is no coating/no coverup. Ask your fab shop if it is being passivated or peened at any step in the process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 05:21PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: JERRY SPRINGS (---.dlsrtr.corridor.net)
Date: January 12, 2007 06:12PM

Hi guys, I had some gun parts plated with a black chrome finish like the process used for airplane engine parts. This is a extremely hard gloss translucent black color that is weather resistant. i would love to have some guide frames done with this process. The ones I bought as double black chrome looked like a powder coat paint job when doing the guide foot prep work. I guess I was expecting the same finish as my gun parts. Regards, Jerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster