I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with a Tennessee Handle
Posted by: Albert Bassett (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:35PM

I saw a Tennessee Handle handle that was made out of something that look like graphite. The person want a UL rod using this type of handle. It was on a custon rod made a few year ago and the person who made the rod for him is no longer with us. Any Ideas what this maybe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with a Tennessee Handle
Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:38PM

It probably was graphite. Check out Fishsticks4u on the left and go to the top of the page and click other. You'll find it there. I think some of the other sponsors carry the tubing as well.

TJ

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:49PM

I may be wrong, but I think Janns Netcraft carries or did carry a graphite tennesee handle .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 09:04PM

Custom Tackle and many others have kits or the materials needed. There is also the Texalium colored tubing from Lamiglas.

Posted by: Albert Bassett (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 09:13PM

Ok how do we get the graphite to fit. Are you using tape. What about the end cap and what best to use for the front part of the graphite.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 09:22PM

Fishsticks has all the parts you need to mount the grip. The bushings and the bushing/endcaps. I believe CTS sells it as a kit as well.

Not to hijack this thread, but are the Texalium (sp) handles graphite? The are discribed as aluminum powder coated, but have a 2x2 twill? The description doesn't say anything about graphite. Anyone?

TJ

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: January 10, 2007 07:19AM

Tim,

They are not graphite from what I was told.

Custom Tackle also has the complete kit available for these handles. Myself I use the bushings, but then finish off the ends with wood or corian. I have some black corian that really looks good with the graphite tubing.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: January 10, 2007 12:45PM

I have also seen and used a single cork ring as an end bushing. Composite cork looks good for this application.

What is the Texalium made from? I've used it on several rods and thought it was woven garphite. I never asked, just assumed.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2007 02:15PM

I THINK?? it is graphite tubing with a powdered aluminum color coating on it for the various colors.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 02:31AM

Custom Tackle is great to talk about graphite handles. I believe they are one of the 'pioneers' in the sense that they have done a few iterations to push the envelope. I believe Lamiglass manufactures some of these tubing for others - not just the Texalium fiberglass ones.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster