I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

threadmaster disaster
Posted by: ronnie jones (---.atl01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 05:39PM

NO, this is not a post about threadmaster finally failing, or, failing to meet expectations.
it's a post about an old man with arthritic hands trying to save a few pennies & costing himself dollars.

I Know, I Know, I know...you'r always supposed to fill the syringe & discard the remainder after the job is finished, BUT, like a few others (probably 99% LOL), i measure a few cc's & squirt the rest into the bottle.

it's always worked good that way .....that is, until today. i have (had)8 oz bottles of resin & hardner. while putting 1cc back into the resin bottle, somehow, my hand slipped on the syringe, the syringe pushed the bottle of resin over & Voila, a lap full of Threadmaster!

in my haste, i picked it up by the bottom of the bottle,,,,wrong thing to do, ,,,then, i put my hand under the "glob" on my leg, got a handful of resin...then, debated - i've got an ounce or so left, if i put this with it, will it contaminate the little i have left?? kinda like a one legged man in a kicking contest ...Siiiiiiiggggghhhhhh

long story short, i've got a pair of pants that i can put threadmaster hardner on & they should last a Looonnnngggg time!!
it's funnier now than it was an hour ago! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: threadmaster disaster
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2007 06:13PM

Sorry hear it. But at least in the future you'll know of one more thing not to do.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 06:33PM

LMAO!!!!

Sounds like something I'd do! Epoxy is funny!...the more you "DO" the worse it gets once you're in that situation......LOL Thanks for sharing!

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 06:44PM

Better off "permanently ironing" pants than shootinup the wrong bottle! I wonder which would be worse hardner in resin or resin in hardner?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 07:10PM

Ronnie,
drill a small hole in the finish bottle caps just big enough for the syringe tips to fit in tightly. Turn the bottles upside down and draw the finish out (However much you need-3 cc's is pretty safe) and empty into cup (replace the empty syringe in the top and draw the plunger up a little and set aside until the next time).

No mess, no fuss and accurate. When the finish is gone, just transfer the caps/syringes to the next bottle. I have been using the same syringes for a couple years and have never cleaned them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 07:51PM

Ditto Mike!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:02PM

Same here but use the yorker tops

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:24PM

Not a disaster Ronnie. Just a set back (allbiet a funny one!)

Been there!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:40PM

Do yourself a favor and heed Mike Barkley's advice. One of the best tips, if not the best I've learned on this site!

TJ

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 10:25PM

Why not go ahead and add the hardener and then take pics tomorrow!! Lets see if they will stand up on their own. ...lol

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 10:59PM

Ronnie;; You've got more brass than a government mule ! Dont tell these stories on yourself. These guys love it when they hear of someone else with a tragic event !! ( I spilled some that went inside my pants pocket ). Now that will make you nervous !
Take Barkley's advice, It's a lot neater.

Jay

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 01:36AM

It's like one of those old-time cartoons with the flypaper.

The difference with me is then, I touched a rod that was drying on the table, got my hand attached to it, and became "one with the rod" for a few minutes. In the process of getting myself unstuck, I touched two of the guide wraps which of course were still wet. Then I touched me. One pair of jeans, one t-shirt, and one half-finished rod later, I found out just how quick the stuff can set up - on me. Then I touched my hand with my other hand. it got to be one of those superglue stories.

Welcome to the club!

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster