I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice fishing rod blanks.
Posted by: Patrick Olson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 26, 2002 07:23PM

Hello everyone!
When I first started rod building I made my self a 24.5" light action ice fishing rod for bluegill. The blank was of unknown origin, might have been a broken or blemished fly rod top. I don't know. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find blem fly rod tops or what would be the ultimate, premium, actual ice rod blanks? I want to make some more and ship north to Minnesota and sell. Believe me they sell like hot cakes! They are a lot cheaper to make and it takes a third of the time. The ice fishing world is just starting to catch up with technology we have today. The market right now is wide open to new and fresh ideas, espcially with rods. It's a paridise for the custom builder. Thanks, Patrick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice fishing rod blanks.
Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: July 26, 2002 07:29PM

We have Ice blanks which are as you thought tip sections from fly rods. They are quite inexpensive.

You can contact us via e-mail or call toll-free (1-877-303-9331)

Andy Snedden
Custom Rodbuilders Inc.
(Rodbuilder Supplies link on left)
andy@rodbuildersupplies.com

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: July 26, 2002 07:58PM

We stock several hundred St. Croix Fly tip sections in various lengths and actions that make excellent graphite ice rods. These are nearly flawless. Just let us know if you want UL, light, medium or medium heavy. Living in the North Country, just north of our friends in Minnesota, we are specializing for the ice rod building market. We'll be stocking this fall a variety of the harder to find tips also, and some solid fiberglass blanks in various weights. Give us an idea of what you're looking for, maybe we can help.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
(807) 486-0514

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.RES.cmu.edu)
Date: July 26, 2002 10:02PM

Patrick,

Merrick Tackle has ice blanks. I belive they have both solid fiberglass and graphite/fiberglass rods. I just ordered a 39" blank and made a fly rod from it. I used an old butt/grip/seat from a broken rod and shimmed the new blank to fit the old butt. It throws a 6 wt line around 65'. It should work for small tight streams and will serve as a playtoy when I want someting new.

Best part? It cost $1.39 for the blank and another $3 for materials, not counting the old parts that I already had.

Rick Koontz
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2002 11:52PM

Patrick we have Tip sections as well and we have a special going right now when you buy a bundle of a 100 tip section blanks.
Thanks
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing products

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster