I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Airbrush Art Anyone?
Posted by: Greg Wegener (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 09:52PM

Has anyone did airbrushing art on a rodblank, any pictures?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Airbrush Art Anyone?
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:03PM

Tons of guys in the far east are doing this....they're way past thread art and on to some really sophicticated paint/airbrush stuff that's unbelievable.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: January 08, 2007 10:09PM

Thanks Andy,,,I would like to do something different in my area, trying to find some info on this.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:32PM

Not to let the cat out of the bag but I have been doing some experimenting with some airbrush techniques and some templates a buddy came up with for me. Not ready to post pics though as I am still in the discovery stage. I WILL say that the possibilities and variations are nearly endless when you combine thread art and airbrush art. Some of the color shifting blanks I have come up with REALLY stand out as do the metallic and holograhic "ghost" labels and other graphics I am trying to develop.

You can get an entry level airbrush for less than $50 and a 2-gal compressor for about the same. Paints from the modeling or auto industries are widely available and I personally try to limit myself to those that are alcohol or water soluable (sp?) for ease of clean-up. I will suggest the use of a GOOD dust mask or light duty respirator, eye protection, and a good home made dust collection system if spraying inside. Please be aware that some paints require a heat setting/bonding process so a drying box would also be potentially a good idea.

I have some pretty talented friends when it comes to airbrush art and I am floored by some of the stuff they can do now and I hope to be able to do in the future. I have also started airbrushing the clear coats on some of my rods with some promising results.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:46PM

I had one young man about 4 years ago come up with some art like that on a rod that was wonderful. A whole underwater scene. He actually did murials in peoples houses but didnt stay in the rod stuff very long. Shame too because it was the best I had ever seen.

Date: January 08, 2007 10:53PM

Derek: Do you airbrush clear coat over thread wraps?

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 11:03PM

Greg

No......I paint the rod blanks and clear coat the blanks at that point before wrapping or installing grips or reelseats.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: January 08, 2007 11:08PM

Sounds interesting, Derek

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:23AM

Phil frm Manhattan Custom Tackle, which has been out of business for about 6 years, had several old rods which he airbrushed and had on display there. The one I remember most was a Flame which extended halfway up teh blank & over the guide wraps, it was really nice and well done.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 09:45AM

Andy, do you have a site where we can see some of these "far east" beauties??

I'd like to see something like that,, I have no talent for that sort of thing, but do appreciate it. ( I have enough trouble with a 1 1/2" roller , and a wall for a canvas )

Thanks in advance,

<*)))><

Posted by: Fred Blake (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: January 09, 2007 10:01AM

Here's a good place to get pretty much any kind of airbrush specific paints and supplies. They also have some of the bst prices around on the actual equipment and offer free shipping on orders of $45 or more.
[www.dixieart.com]

I'll do the stupid thing first, then you shy people can follow. -FZ-

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 08:02PM

Haven't tried any art as yet, but all the rods I paint, I paint with an airbrush. I use the same paint used to paint Lexon bodies on model cars.

I wonder if using a liquid mask and removing what you needed to for your design would work?

Might have to play with it.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: January 09, 2007 10:22PM

Thanks everyone with your comments, ideas, and thoughts. I also did some research today, as I stoped at our local Hobby Lobby, with rod blank in hand, the employees there gave me very helpful info, and also said the surface of the rod blank would give beautiful results from the airbrush.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 04:55AM

I have been planning to do some airbrush art on my rods for a long time. I have a number of ideas that I plan to use. I bought all my equipment (airbrush , compressor, air eraser ect) from Dixie Art and I bought my paints from Waco Taxidermist Supplies. They have the biggest supply of airbrush paint that I have ever seen. Plus you can pick out all the beautiful vivid colors of fresh and salt water fish. I use these true fish colors to airbrush lures that I design and make and I plan to use these paints to airbrush the designs on my rods. On the lures I cover the paint with Flex Coat finish epoxy and I plan to cover the airbush work on my rods the same way. Man, I though I was the first one to come up with airbushed rods! I'd would love to see other peoples airbrush art on their rods.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Date: January 10, 2007 11:02AM

Doug Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
....I wonder if using a liquid mask and removing what
you needed to for your design would work?....

If I'm not building rods or fishing, I'm building off road rc race car chassis'. Most of the cars I build wind up being topped by professionally painted shells, and the real pros in that business simply spray a few coats of liquid mask in the shell, then draw their design on the outside and cut it out as needed with a single edged razor blade. While I have zero artistic talent when compared to the guys doing it professionally, I use the same method for my personal cars as it's hands down the best way to get sharp lines across the angles and bends found on the inside of an rc car body shell. The only thing that would worry me doing it on a rod is the chance of scoring the blank while cutting the mask. Something you might want to try would be to lay out and precut your design on vinyl paint mask, then use transfer tape to get if from the backing to the blank. Both precut and blank sheets of this mask are available at most hobby shops. The vinyl mask is not as good for rc car shells due to the sharp angles and curves, but it should work well on the smooth radius of a rod blank.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 08:54PM

Doug,

Give me a hollar if you want to try the liquid mask. I mis-ordered something and ended up with a box liquid mask by mistake a few months back. I'd be glad to donate a bottle if you want to try it. Maybe it'll actually prove saleable!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 11, 2007 07:28AM

Mark thanks for the offer. I have a bottle, but will let you know if it works out.

Fred, I thought the same thing. How would I cut out the pattern and insure I did not damage the rod? I first thought I could use tape, cut it out utilizing a board before transferring to the rod, but I hadn't thought of using a vinyl mask. Thanks for the input.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: January 11, 2007 10:02AM

Keep your bottle of liquid mask handy. When you lay out a precut mask on a curve you will wind up with tiny gaps between the pieces and the liquid mask is perfect for covering those. It's easy enough to peel up with a finger nail when you start taking out parts of your mask. When you use it it's best to put on a couple of thin coats to speed drying time. You don't want it too thin or it's a real PITA to get off and a single heavy coat will take a while to dry. Also, make sure the liquid mask you are using is not going to soften with the paint you are using. Some of the hobby stuff is made specifically for solvent based paints and will soften up and run if you shoot water based paints over it. Divley's liquid mask is pretty much the standard with pro rc shell painters as they may use both solvent and water based paints on the same job and it can handle both with no problem.

Almost forgot....if you use the vinyl mask, after you peel it off the backing, give it a light coat of windex before you apply it. This will allow you to make minor adjustments to your mask without having to take it off and repostion it. Once you have it where you want it you can squeeze out the excess windex, give it a bit of time to dry and paint. A little heat applied to the mask after it's in place will also help it better conform to the blanks curve without gapping as bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 10:07AM by Fred Blake.

Date: January 11, 2007 12:42PM

Again Fred, Thanks for all the info.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: January 11, 2007 05:07PM

SWMBO says I'm a warehouse of useless information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster