I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide wraps
Posted by: Mark Lawton (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 08, 2007 07:18PM

Hi Guys..
I was in a tackle shops yesterday and was looking at the factory built g loomis' and noticed they didnt use thread to wrap the guides.. does anyone know what these wraps are made out of and if they make the rod any lighter.. also if they are easy to do.
Cheers
Mark

If People Concentrated On The Important Things In Life... There'd Be A Shortage Of Fishing Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide wraps
Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 07:28PM

Mark

I used to outwrap for Loomis and my landlord currently outwraps for them. Loomis uses size B Gudebrod thread on their wraps. What model rods and what color wraps were you looking at that you thought it wasn't thread?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 07:45PM

If you look under a magnifying glass, you will probably see the thread Dark thread with no CP turns translucent

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 08, 2007 08:11PM

It was a gl3 casting rod...as i live in australia could this make a difference.. it really did look like it wasnt thread to me.. but i couldve been mistaken..
Cheers
Mark

If People Concentrated On The Really Important Things In Life.. There'd Be A Shortage Of Fishing Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2007 09:20PM

I'm sure it was thread. Probably with no CP, which tends to cause the thread to "meld" together, as least as far as how it looks.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 09:37PM

I would believe that GLoomis would not use a cheap shrink type material on their rods to hold their guides in place. I know some cheap rods use a shrink material to hold their guides in place.
Good Wraps Bob I know Thomas from rod building shows and he out wraps for some major companies. He would be the one to talk to when it comes to wrpping materials

Date: January 08, 2007 11:54PM

Yer i thought it might have been some new way of making their rods lighter or something..
Cheers Mark

if people concentrated on the really important things in life... there'd be a shortage of fishing rods

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 10:57AM

Sounds like there are price reductions involved in the outwrapping business too! The Loomis shelf rods are now appearing with no trim band on guide wraps and no thread inlays framing the Factory Label. The rods now feature large football guide finish style, excess finish under guide frames and wandering finish edges.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 12:30PM

Look at other well known rod manufactures, like Sage, Lamiglas, St . Croix and compare their rods to a GLoomis. Also remember GLoomis was purchased by Schimano a few years ago. I believe Gary is now just a spokesman for the company. I believe he has nothing to do with the plant’s daily operation. As for out wrapping all the major companies use out wrappers. These people are all great wrappers and are a credit to the trade.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster