I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tuna Stick Front Grip Coming Unglued-Solution?
Posted by: Phil Paterson (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 02:26PM

Hello Everyone!

First off let me say how much enjoyment I've had over the years reading this fine Forum-now I finally have a question that I hope is worthy of you all(!)

Some years back a local Trout/Salmon rod builder here in Vancouver BC assembled a rod for me out of components I bought from Angler's Workshop-it's served me well to date.

However it seems he used soap as an adhesive for the front grip.

Since I'm quite meticulous about washing my gear-and there's no hosel-over time the soap has washed out and I'm left with a loose grip especially to wards the top.

Not the end of the earth by any means I can still fish the stick but this has to be addressed somehow and I'm not motivated to have the guides /hypalon stripped off and the rod redone-not yet anyway.

So now I have to find a way to get 'some' adhesive under the grip-any ideas out there?

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuna Stick Front Grip Coming Unglued-Solution?
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 02:44PM

Just inject some epoxy under the grip with a syringe. Randy.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 03:04PM

If the grip is loose at the very top, open it up and work some Flexcoat [any kind of finish] down between the grip and blank as far as you can get it down. Jesse

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: January 08, 2007 03:43PM

I was also going to suggest the syringe trick.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: January 08, 2007 03:45PM

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 08, 2007 04:11PM

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 08, 2007 06:01PM

Pretty much any glue will work,the trick is getting it in there, if the bulder uses soap he's probably used too small a grip ,a few of my early rods have loosed off due to the grips being too tight in the first place and the hypalon slowly elongates.
Regards Charlie

Posted by: Matthew Birge (---.jck.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 11:23PM

should i mention the syringe trick too?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 12:50AM

If he sused only soap. You might try some hot water and see if you can break the rest of the grip lose, pour hot water over the grip and see if you can break it loos, if you can move the grip forward move the grip forward and apply some Rod Bond and slide the grip back in place. If you can't go to a Veterian and get a large syringe to put your bonding agent in.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster