I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Doc Ski
Posted by: Tony Knight (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 08, 2007 05:30AM

As per the last post I would like to thank Doc Ski for his genereousity and patience and sharing his knowledge. I am new to Rod building only starting last year and stumbled on a pdf on the net that Doc had put together, sent him an email asking for info not knowing of his exstenive expertise in weaving that I have become facinated with. Doc thank you for your generousity and patience. I am know their are more great people on this site that pass on all the knowledge that they have learnt from trial and error that need the same acknowledgement but again thanks Doc. I wish I was coming to the expo to meet you and see all the exibits that will be there, maybe next year
To Tom and all that reply to the Posts thanks fore your help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doc Ski
Posted by: Tom Walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 06:41AM

He is a man of wisdom and knowledge that most people will never get to know unless you take the time to slow down, hear, listen and have a lot of patients. Thanks my friend...

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 12:51PM

Guys thanks to you all too. Now a days it is one of my goals(besides putting a hurt on fishes) to pass on as much of what I have learned as I can. Sometimes that can extend to other things like Tom eludes to. Personally, in my mind it is incumbent on us to help others in life as much as possible. I remember how hard it was in my trek thru rod building and thread art in the days when NO ONE shared anything unless lots of dollars were involved. Now a days, thanks to this site, others and the Magazine, and the DVDs and other instructional materials, the road is a lot smoother to travel now. Ok off the soap box. Tony, Tom and all the rest of you who I am trying to help - Thank YOU - for giving me a place to share my knowledge. It is still progress NOT perfection.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: January 08, 2007 03:42PM

I think most builders are pretty good about helping and sharing information as long as they don't have to spend much money to do it. Thanks to Tom K. for putting up the funds and time to provide this site or the rest might be a mute point.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 05:45PM

It is interesting as I surf the internet and follow a link here and there, only to find a lot of sites similar to this one. Relating one way or another to rod building/making.

Some have sponsors, some do not. I know for a fact that many here visit some of these same sites that are new to me.

Often times I read threads regarding this site and Tom's work in and with it. Tom in fact is mentioned in several threads on a couple of sites I recently visited.. I thought it was a small world, until I started surfing the internet..

Many or you use the same names, internet handles on more than one site, some have a picture of a rod or an icon of sorts that is their trademark so to speak, and it is on several sites..

I was really suprised to see all of that.

So, I guess Tom is only one of many that work to help this craft grow. I don't know of or found another rodbuilding plublication yet, don't know if there is one, and actually, until Mark Crouse gave me this url, I didn't know rodmaker magazine existed.

But I too have to thank the fellows that give freely of their time and knowledge to us that ask, for no other payment than a "thank you". Every single person that I have run across on this forum have done all they could do to answer or to direct you to a place to find the answer , on any type question , rodbuilding, tools, supplies, locations, you name it.. You look now as the show draws near, guys looking to share rides, and others doing what they can to help that person get to the show.

Unreal in this day and age of faceless individuals.

I think a whole lot of people deserve a THANK YOU !

Just my opinion ~

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 06:52PM

Yes Doc. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me also. Up untill I found this site and a few others, I had pretty much learned things as a trial and error, and kept my building to the basics. I still try to keep the craft as old school as I can. Even though we have never met, and talked on the phone a few times, I think we have alot in common. This weaving thing is about as addictive as the building of custom rods...lol. Again. Thank you Doc.

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: January 08, 2007 06:58PM

I didn't mean to say that Tom K. is the only one who helps the craft grow, but considering the traffic this sites gets compared to most others, the features it offers, the Rodmaker magazine, the public library program, the national rod building show, and all that, he certainly stands out a bit more than most in terms of doing things that actually make the craft grow. Nobody was doing it before he came along, except for maybe Dale Clemens, and I wonder if anyone will do all these various things after he's gone. This is where I hope the RBI group will succeed and have an impact. Nobody lives forever.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2007 07:57PM

I suspect that the Cabelas Tackle Craft Catalog has introduced more folks to custom rod building than any other medium.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 08:07PM

Probably true in numbers Tom, However there is little doubt that this site and your Magazine has done more to dial people in on specifics and techniques than any other medium. Your site not only has the highest traffic but is also blessed with more knowledgeable artisans willing to share than I see on any of the sites I frequent. Kudos to you as always for such an excellent portal for the flow of information.

Shawn, though I have in no way affected as many rodbuilders as this site, you should know I have been helping people get started, learn and improve in rodbuilding since easily the late seventies. Mostly on a one to one basis or thru displays at shows and now these puter thingies. I know for a fact many others do so the same way and I beleive that from now on there will always be a free - er flow of information than was evident in the old days. I plan on continuing in that vein as long as I am physically capable. I for one appreciate this site and the venue it provides me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2007 08:16PM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 09:23PM

Very true, Doc-all that you said, there. You've helped me a lot these past years.

Thanks to you and the rest of the folks who pass it on to other builders. I know that many have helped me a bunch through the years and it's really nice to be able to pose a question and get all of the different experienced ideas on how to tackle it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:00PM

This site was a boon to rod building when Tom first brought its conseption to the WEBB. An how this site has grown sense it first hit the WEBB .Then we have contributers Like Randy (Putter), James (DocSki), Ralph O'Quinn and Joe Kassuba. I know there are many more out there that should be mentioned, but I am just a 2 figered typer that can't spell. The groth of this site is totally up to you. So keep sharing and asking questions.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.acsalaska.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:26PM

So, am curious to know how long this site has been in operation? in the past year it has become a daily stop for me.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:32PM

Nice to see your great spelling once again, Bob. You really need that spell checker (your way-better-half) looking over yer shoulder as you type. Karen'll straighten out those bumps for ya!

Bruce, I think that I stumbled along this site in '02? Can't remember, really, but think that was it. Was going quite a while before I found it I'm sure, though.

Looked back later; my first post was in 2/03, I think. I lurked around some for a few months before that. Added this (edit).

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2007 11:47PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 11:19PM

Randy If I were to pell right, you would know it was not me.
Good Wraps Bob I think I have been on this site for over 3yrs.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 06:10AM

I went back into the previous posts and it looks like June 15th 2001 was the official launch date.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2007 09:05AM

Fred is correct - I got this one up and running on the 12th of June, 2001 and officially opened it on the 15th.

This was not the first rod building forum/site on the internet, but it was the first to use a main page sponsor list, include a FAQs, rod builder directory, photo page, online library and buy/sell page all rolled into one.

A least one other site quickly copied this site to some extent, but did not include as many overall features. They even made an offer to buy this one in 2002 for $15,000, but I declined their offer.

My point in starting this site was to provide something a little different than what was already available. Not necessarily better, but different.

Planned improvements for 2007 include a personal spell check button for Bob.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: January 09, 2007 09:52AM

Tom,
If you incorporate a spell checker and Bob attempts to use it the spell checker will most likely lock up and the whole site may crash.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 09, 2007 07:25PM

Now that's funny Tom :-)

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster