I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rod builder
Posted by: Brian.Watson (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 10:12AM

Hey, all

Just a quick introduction. I've been a lurker here for quite some time and decided to finally chime in.

I've been a fly fisher since I was a kid and finally felt the urge to take my passion to the next level in custom rod building. As my skill has improved over the past 25 years of ff-ing, I've always felt that the perfect rod for my fishing style and philosophy were eluding me.

I primarily fish very skinny waters for native brookies (Rapidan R, VA), freestone mountain rivers for larger trout (Kelly Creek, ID, etc), and slow-waters for lunkers (Bull Shoals, AR etc). My philosophy to fishing is less-is-more, so I tend to go with lighter, nimble rods and a minimum of tackle.

Now, to the question:

If you had a budget of about $1000 to buy all the supplies you need to get started, what would you buy? Just fill in the gaps, below, if you would (brand, model):

Power rod wrapper
Guides
Reel seats
Rod building accessories (like a spine finder, epoxy, thread, etc)

I've ordered a couple Dan Craft rod kits to practice on, but plan on really dialing-in my perfect rod as I get better at building them.

Without dragging on too much, I just wanted to hear from you all on how you would set up your fly rod building shop from the big equipment like power wrappers to the type of expoxy and thread you would use.

I really appreciate the help and look forward to your replies!

Respectfully submitted,
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rod builder
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2007 10:27AM

If you're just starting out and will mostly be building fly rods, I would likely skip any sort of expensive power wrapper and just stay with a nice inexpensive hand wrapping jig. A lathe of some type would be nice for turning your own grips and later for reel seat inserts. You can get the Rikon Midi, chuck and tools for under $500 or so. Stick a sanding disk in the chuck and you're covered for prepping guides. Some sandpaper, a couple of fine tooth files, round and flat, and you're ready to start. $1,000 is plenty to get started on the right foot. In fact, you can do it for a heck of a lot less.

Date: January 05, 2007 10:34AM

Tom, thanks for the quick reply. Why would you recommend against the power wrapper?

Not knowing a thing about the benefits/drawbacks of power or hand wrappers, I assumed that having an electronic wrapper would help with uniform and professional-looking wraps more than a hand wrapper. If I start putting out a large volume of rods for sale, would it be more beneficial to have a power wrapper?

Thanks again.

B

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.155.47.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 10:36AM

Brian:

I would take that $1000.00 and go to the show !!! You will get a lot more bang for the buck there. That is just what I'd do first .. But , Like Tom said you can start for a lot less..
Tight Lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2007 10:43AM

Power wrappers do not make "better" wraps than those made strictly by hand turning. In fact, if you aren't proficient in using a power wrapper, you won't like the results.

Fly rods don't require long wraps or underwraps, so the speed factor is not that important. I think a power wrapper, at this point in time, is just something that you won't make much use of. I rarely wrap under power when doing fly or light freshwater rods that only require small guides and short wraps.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 11:20AM

Brian,

You have a wish list just like the rest of us had when we started..

And the #1 thing on that list is the "POWER WRAPPER!!!" Gotta have it !!!!!!!!!!!! Don't quite know what good it is going to do me,,,, but if it cost $300.00 it gotta be good and I am probably the only guy that doesn't have one !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I was there too... I even went so far as to get a power wrapper, even thinking that I don't really need it, I was even trying to talk myself out of it, cause I was thinking, I start the wrap by hand, and end the wrap by hand, what do I need the power wrapper for,,,, the 15 or 20 wraps in between the start and finish??? But,,, with every magazine having them, every flyer I got in the mail one was on sale,,, I figured I had to have it!!!!

Bottom line was that I did 1 (one) very long underwrap for a butt wrap with it, and what a pain it was !!!!!!

Haven't used it since.

Do what the guys say above,,, if you can , go to the show.. you want a rod drying motor for when you put the finish on the wraps.... that is about all the "power units" you'll need. But your money in stock, as in blanks , guides, reel seats, cork, razor blades, glue, thread, epoxy, brushes.. After a dozen or two rods are done,,, then think back and ask yourself if you want a power wrapper... (bet I know the answer)

Enjoy the craft ~ ~

<*)))><

Date: January 05, 2007 11:34AM

Well, Art,

You sold me. Can you recommend a good hand wrapper setup?

B

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 12:16PM

Brian, your email is hidden, I'll send you a picture of my set up. Total cost of less than $10 !

Or email me at: mrparramoure@yahoo.com .

<*)))><

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 12:29PM

Brian -

All the previous posts are 100% dead on - unless you are doing heavy rods such as offshore saltwater or freshwater trolling, a power wrapper is not the way to go. Look deep into the eyes of the Sully Wrapper - it is the very best hand wrapper on the market, IMO. Pair that with either a FlexCoat or Pac Bay single dryer and you are golden. OH YEAH ... and save your money on the spine finder - totally unnecessary, just build on the straightest axis. Most of the items you will need are $5, $10, $8, etc. The wrapper and dryer will cost you approximately $250 in the door. Save the rest for the little stuff and plenty of components from one of the sponsors on the left.

Jim -

Date: January 05, 2007 12:36PM

Is there a way to unhide an e-mail address? I looked through the user CP and found nothing.

In any case, it's drjeep3@cox.net

Thanks in advance for the pics!

B

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 01:35PM

The lathe, chuck and tools for it are the biggest costs, and I agree with everyone else on the rest.

I just bought the Rikon lathe, Midi Chuck and such, best investment PERIOD. I love the features of the Rikon that the others don't have. It's a well thought out machine that I'm proud to own.

Any good and even cheap hand wrapper will do your needs well.

One other thing I like to use a lighted magnifier lamp. Probably one of the MOST used products I own for rod building. It's on ALL the time and I wouldn't be without one: mine was $7 on sale at Harbor Freight Tools

Spend the "other money" on some nice rod blanks, seats, guides, threadmaster, epoxy, razor blades, mixing cups, popsicle sticks, thread, Andys cork and mandrels, and a dremel tool

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2007 01:36PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 02:23PM

Want to see cheap look at my members photo gallery under "C" for Chris Karp, lots of home made fixtures. I'd spend $200 on supplies thread, epoxies, spatula, exacto, knives & expensive blades 25 pk, mixing cups, sandpaper, scotchbrite pad, rattail files and garage sale stuff for most of the fixtures you'll need then build 4 $200 rods.

I've built rods since the early 70's and hand wrapped every one. I don't even have a "V" grove in my rod holders , just two felt lined 3000yd service spool laid side ways and secured 5 ft apart. I slap a chunk of tape over the thread to keep the tension if I need to set the blank down. The more you spend on equipment the more you have to build before cover that set-up cost and get into the black ink. The old timer that showed me how to build rods didn't buy a power wrapper for 30 years , bought one and then died two years later. I can feel the tension better when hand wrapping, and you put so little thread on, add another color with a fade,or a highlight band, pack your threads regularly, and your stopping all the time anyway. I'd hate to have to relearn everything I can do now on a power device.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 02:35PM

Couldn't agree more with the above. Spend your $$ on parts for rods, less on stuff to build the rods on. Plenty of time to upgrade later if you want.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com] Still working fine 25 years later, though with recent change to to the thread holder. I have the parts and plans to build a power wrapper but still haven't seen the need nor found the desire to get started on it. Something for a boring day.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 05:02PM

I'm with Bill, Attend the Big Show in Feb. (See link at top of the vendor list on the left) A weekend of seminars, talking to builder and seeing just about anything that is made that pertains to rodbuilding. I would spend $15 on Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman fist and some videos and subscribe to Rodmaker magazine. Take advantage of all the info on this site and use the Search function. I also "had to have" a Power Wrapper - used once just couldn't find any advantage for ME.

Most of all Don't hesitate to ask for help!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Thanks a bunch, everybody!
Posted by: Brian.Watson (---.ngb.army.mil)
Date: January 05, 2007 07:31PM

Thanks for the input, everybody. I hope to see some of you at the conference next month.

Brian

Re: Thanks a bunch, everybody!
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 09:56PM

Brian,,,, I know the temptation. I damn near went for a power wrapper. But it is just a regular motor added to a manual setup. Hmmmm,,, so I am building my own setup from some cheap @#$%& bearings for the rod supports. Then just create another upright with a homemade chuck centered by 1/4" bolt going thru the support. Attach a cheap variable drill to that and you have the power. Even easier with running the drill to a cheap foot control.. If going that homemade power route myself not really for the wrapping, but for the finish application.
Oh yeah,,,, and of course adding another upright with a cheap low rpm motor for drying.
Guess when I finish mine I could take some pics and post. Won't be pretty, but should easily do the job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster