I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide suggestions please
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2007 05:30PM

im building a rod and need some suggestions on which guides i should look at

the rod is a 6'9 gator glass 30-50lb class rod and im going to be using a shimano Trinidad TN30 reel on it spool up with 80-100lb power pro super braid (this rod is specifically for this reel and line and will not see any other line or reel for the life of it)

which guides would be best suited for this rod? (money isnt a problem but i would like if you can some high end suggestions and some mid grade suggestions)

an "around" amount of guides would be nice if anyone would know so when i order them i know about how many i need to order and have less of a chance that ill need to order more...guesses would be appriciated because i dont even where to begin to know how many to order

thanks in advance for all replies its much appriciated and hope you all are having a great year so far!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide suggestions please
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2007 06:17PM

I'd say Fuji HNSG, BHNNG or LRSG. Just curious, is there a reason why such heavy line on that blank? I would think that it would take probably 7-9 guides after doing a static test. Randy.

Date: January 04, 2007 06:28PM

its more because of the reel thats going on it because the reel holds 375 yards of 30lb line and to spool PP with that would cost about as much as the reel haha

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2007 07:19PM

Why not spool a 60 yard base of 30# mono and top it with 300 yards of 30# Power Pro? It's always best to use the appropriate line that matches the rod's capabilities.

Date: January 04, 2007 07:32PM

ok now i feel dumb haha didnt even think about that

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 04, 2007 09:44PM

JON:

Just curious, are you going to use a 50# or less leader? If not, the rod is in for a a good workout with the 80-100# line on her. even though it's fiberglass, I would think it would run a risk of breakage...Reason why I ask is cause I'm gonna build a similar rod to yours for small Halibut and Lingcod jigging...

Paul

Date: January 05, 2007 12:19AM

this rod is only going to be fished in one spot and its full of rocks that tear up 40-60lb leader in short order so we use 80lb mono leader only for the reason that we dont have to retie after every cast

the only reason really i have that high of a test is because i like braid and its like $60 for a 500 yard spool of 20lb dia(100lb test) power pro and if i were to go less ide need an even bigger spool costing even more money haha...i have my drag set pretty light so i dont really use the full strength of the line...the higher test line is more for its bigger diameter for filling the spool instead of for the breaking strength

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster