I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Plate type reel seat
Posted by: Chris Means (---.unknwn.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 02:32AM

I have only seen plate type reel seats on spinning rods. Do they not make good casting seats?

Let's fish,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Plate type reel seat
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 10:48AM

Chris, I just used a Fuji plate-type reel seat on a spiral (conventional) surf rod, and have become an enthusiastic convert. I love them, and will never again build a surf rod with anything else. I am actually going to be looking to see, on just about every rod I build, if a plate seat would work -- I like them so much that I'm going to look at them first before I look at anything else.

The plate seat on my spiral surf stick works fine with my Penn Squidder, and I love the fact that if need be, I can easily remove the reel seat to replace or move it. I highly recommend plate seats to anyone who will listen, for both spinning and conventional reels.

Date: January 02, 2007 02:27PM

I would like to use them on my future rods, spin and cast, to keep them as naked as possible. No cork, just butt cap plate seat and guides. Is that a common goal with plate seats?

Let's fish,
Chris

Date: January 02, 2007 02:50PM

I have no idea whether that's common or not, Chris -- my guess is not, as I've never seen a rod without some kind of grip -- but one of the beauties of building a custom rod is you can do whatever you want. If you want a rod with no grip, then go right ahead. I can't imagine why you'd want that, as when blanks get wet they tend to get very, very slippery (that's why there's a grip there), but if you wanna do it, by all means go ahead.

Though you didn't ask, I will tell you one of the reasons I like the plate reel seats. I beat the spit out of my equipment -- not intentionally; it's just that the type of fishing I do (mostly surfcasting in the dark) is rough on my gear -- and as a result I have a fairly frequent need to repair something. I've been trying, as much as I could, to come up with a rod that had 100% replaceable parts, that is if anything short of the blank broke, I could fix it. And the Fuji graphite plate reel seat is a part of that - if it breaks, you can very, very simply remove it and replace it. That's not the case with tube-style reel seats.

My point in mentioning this is that you can do whatever you want with a custom rod. So if you want to build a rod with no grip, then let 'er rip.

Posted by: DANIEL J MINSKER (---.m2net.ips.techline.com)
Date: January 02, 2007 03:30PM

how do you attach them. i always wondered that

Date: January 02, 2007 03:34PM

You wrap them on and finigh them just like guide feet. I used Size E thread on the last one I did, with good results, although you can use D as well (and maybe even A; I'm not sure). When you're finished, the reel will be very securely held in place by the thread wraps. And this method of attaching the reel seat is the beauty of plate-style seats: removing one is as simple as removing a guide.

Date: January 02, 2007 04:00PM

[www.basspro.com]
Here is where I got the look. I figured if a manufacturer was making rods like this it would already be a common practice. What do you use for grips with your plate seat set ups?

Let's fish,
Chris

Date: January 02, 2007 04:04PM

But now that I read more about it I see why they left it so naked. LOL Look before you leap.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 04:09PM

Here is a pic of the way I do it. This one has a palm support wrapped with the plate seat, but not necessary. Hope its viewable.

Lou Reyna

[members.cox.net]

Date: January 02, 2007 05:08PM

Alright! Now we're talking. That is sweet. What do you use it for?

Let's fish,
Chris

Date: January 02, 2007 05:52PM

What is the grip material and did you epoxy on top of grip?

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 07:55PM

Uratane tape or 3 M rubber non skid safety tape it is self adhesive like cork tape. And goes on the same way

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 09:57PM

Chris

I build a 10' steelhead rod just as you described. I did not work for me ass the feel of the rod in the hand was just not right, very top heavy and kept wanting to twist in my grip. I ended up making a handle of cheap cork rings wrapped with bicycle handlebar tape and the rod ended up looking much better and feeling much better.

I use plate seats on almost all of my builds from larger diameter rod blanks.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: January 02, 2007 10:34PM

Thanks a lot guys.

Let's fish,
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster