I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod spine preferences
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 10:47PM

I'm about to try building my first fly rod. On the spinning rods I build, I place the guides on the inside of the curved blank (the spine is on the outside of the curve if I am correct).

Are the guides inside or outside of the curve on a typical fly rod? Assuming a 4 piece rod, do you worry about the spine in all four sections or just in the top one or two?

Thanks,

Skip Kerwin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod spine preferences
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 02:02AM

I think the rule is that guides on a spinning and fly rod are located along the same axis, opposite the spine, while guides on a baitcast/spincast rod are aligned along the spine. According to the guide, "Handcrafting a Graphite Flyrod" written by L. A. Garcia, placing the guides opposite the spine gives the rod power during backcast and while fighting the fish. Placing the guides along the spine allows the spine to power the forward cast. Still other builders, professional and hobbyist, may disregard the spine altogether and locate the guides oriented to the curve of the tip top, if any curvature is perceived.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 02, 2007 03:11AM

it doesn't matter as much as you may think. hard to define "typical." read the FAQ about finding the spine near the top of this web page. there's also a BUNCH of threads about this topic if you conduct a search. i started off mounting guides opposite the effective spine. about a dozen rods later, i now mount guides on the straightest axis.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2007 09:13AM

There is no rule whatsoever on rod spine. It has little to no effect on casting accuracy and none with regard to rod twist.

What I would recommend is that you just tape on your guides and try the guides on and opposite the spine. Then try them on and opposite the stiffest axis (straightest axis). See which you prefer.

If you need more power, buy a more powerful blank. There won't be enough difference between the softest and stiffest axis (these are not opposite each other) to really make much difference.

There is no right nor wrong way to do this. Set it up the way you prefer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster