I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Supporting RBI
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 04:54PM

If you look back through the archives you can find where I've talking about how much I have wanted to see a professional rod building organization for rod builders formed. Everybody pretty much wrote it off and I didn't expect to see anything happen in my lifetime so I was excited when I saw the notice about RBI in the last issue of Rodmaker.

Just back from a few days off I see a post made a few nights ago from Sammy Mickel on his experience with another organization. I can respect the fact that Sammy doesn't feel they performed up to his expectations. I've heard the same from many others. But I just wanted to say that I don't think anyone should judge a new organization based on what older ones did or didn't do.

I've gotten a nice e-mail from Joe Douglas on what some of his plans for this new organization are and I'm impressed. I have no idea if he can pull it off but personally I think it's a vision worth supporting and plan to do it with my wallet. I just wanted to voice my opinion that anyone like Sammy who might be looking for something like this but has been put off by the performance of past organizations to which they've been members should reserve judgement until they've given Joe a chance to do what he says he'll do. I just hated to see doubt cast on him and RBI because of what another group did or didn't do. This is Joe's first attempt at a professional rod building organization and I hope everyone interested in this type of thing will give him the benefit of the doubt as he gets started. My .02 worth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Supporting RBI
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 01, 2007 05:38PM

Ken,
I don't think there is any doubt that everyone thinks that this is needed and wants this org to succeed (well, most of us........) I think that you misunderstood Sammy's post. He was not negative towards RBI. He merely said that he was skeptical and was looking forward to talking to Joe in High Point. He also stated that he thought it was needed and was pulling for it!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: January 01, 2007 06:44PM

I haven't had the pleasure of meating Joe yet but it won't be long. There is no doubt it is a tough road to go down and I've heard that he has great talent and a sucessful background. I was just stating some things I'd like to see that I think would help a great many of us in the business aspect. Happy New Year, guys.

Date: January 02, 2007 12:40PM

My apologies to you, Sammy. I did not read it in the tone you meant it. I've gone back and read it over again and can see you meant no harm to Joe or the new RBI.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: January 02, 2007 06:36PM

I just got back into the work habit myself after the holiday. I've read the earlier posts and I can assure you that I'm not offended by anything anyone said. It's pretty hard to offend me anyway. Some really offensive people have tried over the years to no avail. I would prefer that everyone speak their minds and let me sort it out as it goes along. I do not have all the answers but I do have the ability to gather the information and opinions and produce something useful from it all.

The RBI organization is not a hobby group, it is a business. It exists to provide services to members who will be expected to pay a membership fee which in turn provides the funding necessary to support RBI programs and allow us to provide the services. My goal is for RBI to play an instrumental role in enhancing the image of custom rod building and have a positive impact on this profession and our industry. I assume that by doing so there will be significant benefits for all facets of the industry.

It's true that I'm starting this business, but I sincerely hope that rod builders will begin to think of it as our business. It certainly has the potential to impact each individual rod building business in a very positive way if we gather together our combined knowledge and experience and approach this from a collective point of view. I believe we will combine to become a rather formidable presence in the industry and our only obstacle is to make sure we do it right. I don't pretend to know what "right" is at this point in time, but I'm certainly learning a lot from everyone who contacts me.

We are trying to get information together as quickly as possible and distributed to all of you. The web site should be up soon even if it is only the barest of essentials to get us started. I am happy to throw in my $0.02 in all these open discussions and to respond to private emails or phone calls from anyone. I have no secrets or ulterior motives. You may or may not agree with me or what I have to say, which is fine; I may be way off base or completely wrong, in which case someone should correct me before I make a complete fool of myself; but, you can rest assured that I will be open and above board in every way. I don't know any other way to approach things.

I will say that the reponse I have received so far greatly exceeds anything I ever imagined. It has been 99.99% positive and encouraging and the offers of help have been non-stop. It is apparent this idea struck a chord within the industry and the industry is ready, willing and able to ensure the effort will succeed. I am amazed at the level of support for the concept and the fact that most of you don't know me but are willing to gamble on my abilities. I will do my best to make sure your trust is well placed.

OK...I'm going to stop now. I just read back through this and it sounds a little too much like a political speech. I get wound up at times.

Keep sending the suggestions and new ideas. Keep the discussions going, they are very informative and helpful. Thanks, Joe

Joe Douglas

Date: January 02, 2007 07:05PM

I'm not surprised at the level of support and interest you're getting. I suspected as much would be the case if anyone ever did this. I don't really see other organizations as being dedicated to promoting custom rod builders and custom rod building. A club is a club, but a professional organization is something very different. Your second paragraph says it all for me. Good luck. Keep us updated and count me in!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster