I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best way to trim a graphite reel seat?
Posted by: Anson Lytle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 02:21PM

Are there any tricks to getting a clean, 90º cut on a graphite reel seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best way to trim a graphite reel seat?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2006 02:25PM

Masking tape, dremel with diamond cut off wheel, cut it a little longer than you want and use a sanding block and progressively finer sandpaper as you go to get it where you want it. I usually start with 80 grit to rough the dremel cut square, drop to 150, then to 400gr.

DR

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2006 04:05PM

That small chop saw I've posted about here that I also used to cut through blanks, using the same typical cut off wheel, cuts through a reel seat like butter. Word of warning though, if you loiter too long while cutting it the high speed wheel will melt and smear the material. In other words, a smooth continuous cut taking only as long a time as necessary is needed. Will try the tape trick as DR suggested in the previous post to see how that works. I then use a utility knife to scrape and bevel the edges. I get good results.

Lou

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 31, 2006 05:09PM

Anson,
If your making a no foregrip bass rod you don't need to be as critical as you cut the reelseat 1/8" shorter than the reelseat nut's length on the reelseat with a reel installed. You than never really see the reelseat and the threads.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 05:45PM

I sometimes use a hacksaw and then use the disk on the side of the belt sander to square it up. Works great, every time. Sometimes I only used the sander if I don't have a lot to trim. I run my pocet knife around the inside edge on about a 45 degree angle to clean up any of the melted material that remains. And most times lightly sand the outer edge at a 45 degree angle (with fine paper) just to knock down any sharp edges.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2006 06:06PM

I use teh masking tape as a guide as well, and a fine tooth exacto hobby saw (not a knife, serrated blade). I then get it all even with a sanding disk - a word of caution using this - make sure you feed teh seat perfectly perpendicular to teh disk, or teh resulting reel seat will be perfectly straight, but on a diagonal.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 06:55PM

I have used a miter box and a hack saw blade to get a square cut on the threaded part of the seat and then snadpaper on a block of wood to smooth the end off. This end presses into the cork ring on the handle and looks graet but I am just a beginner at rod building.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 07:04PM

14" chop saw with a bi-metal blade, then sand true with a belt sander combo. I shim the inside of the seat with scrap blank or a wood dowell in order to have a longer peice to work with. Fine tune the nubs with an exacto and 220 grit.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2006 07:30PM

Ha Ha,You said "Nubs"

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 07:51PM

No, I said "NUBS"... Non Uniform Bulbous Scrapulates!!!! lol

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: January 02, 2007 02:51AM

I recently turned a fuji 16mm reel seat into a skeleton by chucking it in the lathe and using a parting tool. Worked well, quick and easy. I finished off with sandpaper. Tomorrow I am going to use the same method to reduce the length on a fuji quick locke foregrip for use as a small fighting butt on a lightweight fly rod.

John

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 02, 2007 11:50AM

For squaring everything after the cut, you can take an old crappy nut/hood, screw it on the threads, and use that as your straight-edge against the sanding disk. Obviously, after a number of sandings, the old hood/nut will have been sanded out of square, but then you just get another one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster