I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fancy winding checks - IPS seat
Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: December 31, 2006 09:15AM

Hello,

Fuji rod components catalogue for the year 2006 :) features (page 42) a WCH winding check for the KN-type foregrip.

Now I wonder are there any "rules" concerning choosing and mounting WCH winding check? I mean particularly the I.D. of the winding check and O.D. of the blank parameters:
should I take winding check with the I.D. matching exactly the O.D. of the blank, or should I take considerably larger I.D. of the winding check to avoid blank scratch for instance? Is it a good idea to make decorative-protective wrap over the blank in WCH winding check area plus take larger I.D. winding check?

Wonder wheter someone tried WCH winding check already...

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Meanwhile, Happy New Year!

Best regards,
Pavel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fancy winding checks - IPS seat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 31, 2006 10:19AM

All metal winding checks you want loose enough to fall into position themselves with no problem if raised just a little off it's resting place. They are sharp so they can scratch a blank if you're not careful. I put my trim thread, if I'm using any, under the metal winding check. I've learned the hard way on fly rods that inattention or to tight a fit can cause blank failures.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 31, 2006 09:06PM

Pavel,

The id of a WCH winding check for such an application should be at least 1mm larger than the blank od. Normally, I will put a "lipstick", which is a 1" metal tube at that part of the blank where the winding check is placed. When the foregrip is properly tighten, about 1/2" of this lipstick should be protruding. Pl see my earlier post: [www.rodbuilding.org].

Alternatively, you should tie a band of threads to match or contrast the winding check.

Cheers,

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: January 01, 2007 03:33AM

Anthony,

wow - I saw your rods, beautiful! Thank you for your advice. I was thinking about a "lipstic" but I hesitate to use this, for two reasons: first, I do not want to add weight to the construction, secondly I am afraid of stiffening this portion of the blank where lipstic lays, therefore I am thinking rather about some decorative-protective thread. I guess I will make a thread, put epoxy, measure O.D. and then buy WCH with an I.D. 1 or 1.5 mm larger - does it sound good to you?

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: January 01, 2007 05:16AM

Pavel,

You are right on.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Anthony Lee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster