I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Suggestions 4 Newbie
Posted by: Charles Hamilton (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:36PM

First, let me start off by saying that I am new here, but I have been reading posts here for quite a long time. The knowledge base here is awsome. I would like to start building my own rods, and who knows, maybe even turn it into a side job. I have a lot of free time. I am very good with my hands and am somewhat of a perfectionist. Until I get the hang of building custom rods, I would really like to begin with some cheap ( inexpensive) blanks. Some that if I mess it up, I am not out alot of money. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Suggestions 4 Newbie
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:44PM

Almost all of the Sponsors listed to the left of this page have websites that show their range of blanks and their prices. You can also call most of them for advice. They all have "entry-level" blanks, not necessarily cheap, but pretty inexpensive.

You didn't give us enough information about what kinds of rods you'd like to start with, for us to be able to help you with anything more specific than that. On the other hand, it might be that what you can afford will determine what you will build at first. That's perfectly OK, but it means you're gonna have to do some research as suggested above. Eventually you need to narrow your search by the type of rod you want to build. It's sort of a Catch-22 - first you need to find an inexpensive blank, then pick what kind of rod you want to build from the blanks in your price range, but you sort of need to know what you want to build in order to know what to look for.

I might have some suggestions for you if you want to email me privately, too, and no, I don't sell blanks so I'm not going to tell you to buy something I sell.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:58PM

Like Russ said, more info would be helpful. You might want to go to Fishstics4U on the left and check out the Forecast line of blanks. Good blanks/good price! Very good value Foe a step up check the Rainshadow line. That being said, most of the companies, St Croix, Pac Bay, American Tackle also have some inexpensive lines. Tiger Eye blanks are also a great value!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 11:20PM

Charles, Check Acid Rod, on the left, they have blanks on special. They might have something you like.

JBH

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 11:33PM

Charles, by all means , check out all the sponsors on the left. They will go out of their way to take care of you. Mark Griffen at Acid Rod for instance, is a professional Rod Builder. He has great shipping prices also.

jbh

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 12:09AM

Don't Leave Neal out of the list guys....I KNOW he has blanks at a more than reasonable price for the beginner.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.181.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 10:28AM

Just about all the sponsors have some low cost blanks that are very nice. But even if you spend a bit more and get a higher end rod and "mess it up", you aren't really out of anything. Just strip it and do it again. Something you'll want to learn to do anyway for repair or refurb work down the road. I think if you ran a poll, you'd find that a lot of guys here spend as much time, if not much more, doing repairs which involve stripping existing stuff as they do building rods from the ground up.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 30, 2006 10:29AM

I guess I'm from a different school, I bought the blank I wanted to use right off and built my first rod. I talked to a few builders and they explained to me that it's pretty hard to not get a decent rod if you take your time and pay attention to details as you go. Anything you don't like can usually be fixed, guide wrap don't look right, redo it, etc.Spending money on a blank and parts you probably won't use much afterwards just seemed like false economy to me.

Posted by: Charles Hamilton (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 10:38AM

Thanks a million guys. I guess that I never gave it much thought, as far as if I don't like it I can redo it. I have checked out several of the sponsors on this page, and they all seem to hve really good prices. More than likely I will start with a rod that I want, rather than settling for something to just practice on. Besides, I have several rods that are in need of repairs, so I could practice on them. By the way, I am a hard core bass fisherman, therefore, all of my rods will be built for that purpose. I would like to eventually replace all of my store bought rods with rods that I built. Again, thanks a million. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on the site.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 30, 2006 11:43AM

Charles,

If I can make a suggestion, I would really encourage you to first get a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. It will be the best $15 you will spend. It will give you step by step instructions on every phase of building (and explain why). It's a great beginning to a horrible, life changing addiction!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Charles Hamilton (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 04:01PM

Mike, that sounds like a really great idea. That would probably save me a lot of time and headaches. Thanks for the advise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster