I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PC Stitch Question
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 08:52PM

Good afternoon all. I just downloaded PC Stitch Pro a few hours ago and have been messing around with it, but have a question for those who use this program to develop their weave patterns.

Say I want to do a small color change weave of only 40 threads and am going to import a picture from a file. If I set the threads to 40, the image is so vage it's impossible to distinguish any detail. As the number of threads are increased the detail improves, but the image is increased from 40 threads to whatever I increase the thread count to.

Is there a way to improve the detail and still stay at a 40 thread weave

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PC Stitch Question
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 02:10AM

Doug,
Not really. I sometimes have to review the image several times using the zoom command. Just zoom way out to 25% and the image will appear more natural. Most of the time I make my patterns with about 60 threads to keep the detail acceptable. Hope it helps some, Randy.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 12:39PM

Doug; There is one thing you might try. When you bring an image into the program and you set your stitch count to 40 also change the cloth count. If you do that you will see the difference in the preview window. Reduce the number of colors gradually as that too will cost you detail. When you have something you can live with you can work the rest of it out on the graph. Keep in mind that 40 design threads will be great for letters and some silhouettes but you won't be able to get detail that goes beyond an outline for most everything else.

Posted by: Stan Kulgoski (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 03:56PM

I just recently finished a Dragon head, and in order to get the detail that I wanted, I endeded up with a pattern that was 135 threads and six colors. I had somewhere in the neighbohhod of 540 threads in my loom. It came out pretty nice, problem is that it is so wide, that I may only be able to use it on a gaff or something similar in diameter. I also finished a mayfly nymph, 2 colors, but still ended up with an 130 thread width.

I found that patterns over 60 or 70 threads wide generally don't fit on most rods, especially freshwater rods. Even the above mentioned are really quite large for even larger salwater rods, however, they may be utilized if you wish to wrap to about a 210 degree +/-, circumference. In addition, thread diameters are paramount with respect to the finished size of your design.

I find PC Stitch to be an aid, not an end. If you are looking for deail in your work, (at my level of expertise anyway), I can't see any pattern less than 135 +/- threads as doable. As Jim Upton said, designs in the 40 thread range may be OK for sillouetts etc. but to really get onto some fine detail, I beleive that you really need to get way up in the thread count..

I haven't been able to take pictures of my work as of today, but I plan to post them in the near future, If I can figure out how to take these pictures that will give a good perspective on what I ended up with.

Date: December 30, 2006 05:47PM

Thanks guys, I'll keep working at it.

As you stated Stan, " It's and aid, not an end."

I've been away from the board for awhile, but I thought someone was working on a program for weaving. Something like VisualWrap.

Again, thanks guys.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 30, 2006 10:49PM

David Boyle was working on Visual Weave!! I saw a prototype "work in progress" in Charlotte 2 years ago, but haven't heard anything in a long time!!

David, Are you reading this??????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 11:36AM

Hello all and Doug,
Mike finial help me get on here. Doug if you need a little help useing the Pc tsitch, check your e-mails and get back to me, I will try to help you as much as i can. Thanks to all.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 31, 2006 04:43PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm reading :-)

It's still in the pipeline. Family and work come first, however.

Regards
Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 05:25PM

David,
Understood! Any guess as to how long that pipeline is?????????????????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 31, 2006 06:31PM

Hi Mike,

At this stage, no. I understand people are keen to see it finished - I'm at the front of that line!!! I'll post updates as I progress.

Regards
Dave

Date: January 01, 2007 11:40AM

Thanks David!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster