I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bag Materials
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 08:36AM

Are there any "rules" for types of materials used in creating rod bags that hold the sections in a rod tube? I am going to have a seamstress make me a few and my choices of materials include Poly / Cotton 70 / 30 to Medium Weight Wool (8 Weight). I like cotton twill, but I wonder if there are issues with using natural fibers versus synthetics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bag Materials
Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 09:25AM

Tony......
When I was a full time homemaker,and sewed clothes for my boys, I remember using a material, called Sailorscloth.........it is a material that is not real soft, not real stiff.....it hits a happy medium.......
I was considing making my own rod bags for my bass rods......and Sailorcloth came to mind......and I believe, Saliorcloth is a all cotton material......
Hope this helps........

MaryLou
Weatherford,TexasUSA

Posted by: David Leonard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 09:51AM

Don't know of any rules, per se. I usually use flannel because its soft and inexpensive. Also easier to embroider on...Fleece is nice too - higher "pile" for cushioning, but it's about 3 times the price per yard, and machine setup is slightly different.

==dave==

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:10AM

Greetings to the Republic of Texas. Thank you, Mary Lou. Sounds cottony twilly to me.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:45AM

I have used cotton sheets purchased on closeout pretty darn cheap and so far they have held up well. I have also used velvet, flannel, denim, vellux, felt and even canvas. Denim and canvas when washed, preshrunk, and softened are my favorites.

Best looking bags were from camo denim (Wally World $3/yd and black canvas $4/yd).

I shape my rod socks so the reel can be left on the rods for storage.

Derek

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 01:37PM

There are a surprising number of fishing related patterns on materials. Flies, lures, rods, reels, boats and all kinds of different material blends to choose from. I buy for the patterns and select the material for each bag depending on what kind of rod it is...fly, spin, casting. Clients seem to really like the bags with patterns that match their rods purpose. Works for me.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 04:23PM

Hio, Tony.....I lean towards a wool/acrylic "tartan" type fabric. I do not sew, and therefore I have them made for me. To make it faster, therefore less spendy, I pick the tartans because they always have built in straight guide lines for sewing, and cutting.
And they add a nice touch of class to the rods. They are usually a heavy weave and weight, making cutting and sewing easier.
Most bolt cloth is 60" wide, and however long. I size my bag strips to 10", or 12" giving me either 5 or 6 across, and however long.
When these strips are folded and sewed, I get bags 5" or 6" nominal, with the "dividing line" placed to suit the rod at hand. This is normally 1.5 and 3.5 for the 5", and 2.0 and 4.0 for the 6" versions.
Whatever fabric you pick, it will be a statement of your tastes, and styles. Always better than a factory deal.
Best, KD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster