I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.295.ca)
Date: December 28, 2006 05:56AM

Just used threadmaster for the first time on a diamond patterned butt wrap. I have been reading on this forum all the positive attributes of this thread epoxy. The one I never realized and was pleasently surprized by was the way it never changed the natural colour of my threads. For example I used Gudebrod Garnet #206 and usually I can expect this colour to darken up after I apply my Flexcoat Thread epoxy but they never did, they stayed true to the original colour very well. I was surprized I didn't expect that. In fact I had used a Gudenbrod colour preserver on a section of the wrap for a two coloured effect with the garnet and it did not happen that way. The garnet treated with colour preserver is the same as the garnet not treated, great stuff.

The only problem I have been noticing and I have noticed it with the Flexcoat epoxies I use as well is this: When I apply a second coat I sometimes get this strange look on the surface of my epoxied thread wraps. I can only describe it as if the second layer of epoxy is separating on the surface of the first layer, leaving a bumpy finish that has spots of finish that have pooled away from the first layer of epoxy. If you were to add oil to water the oil would pool on the surface into concentrated spots leaving areas of the water without oil on its surface. I think, but am not sure , that perhaps it is due to leaving the epoxy too long between coats. What is the max. one should leave the epoxy to cure before coats if they do not want to scuff sand?

S.A. Lynas

Steve Lynas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 06:40AM

You may have a contamination issue.I usually dont go more than 24 hrs between coats If I do then I scuff it with a grey Scoth-Brite pad and that is it.Dust off the dust with a clean brush.No solvent wipe.This is usually where the contamination comes from(the towel).Also could be air borne or from your fingers if you feel the epoxy(we all do it).

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2006 09:08AM

If you plan to apply an additional application, you need to do it within 24 hours, really. Otherwise you end up with two actual "coats" and the second may separate from the first without some surface preparation. If you can make the application within 24 hours they meld into a single coat. In fact, you can apply the second application just as soon as the first coat is tack free enough to allow you to apply the second without the brush grabbing on the first.

Any epoxy will change thread color if you don't apply CP. Something odd is going on with your wraps, or perhaps you used NCP thread?

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 09:15AM

Any time that I have used threadmaster it changes the colour of my threads. This is regular threads not NCP.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 28, 2006 10:34AM

Reg. nylon garnet is my favorite color when used without CP. I have done several rods this way (using threadmaster) and all my wraps darken considerably if I don't use CP (which is the affect I prefer). From my experience with garnet and threadmaster, I would agree with Tom in saying you must have something odd going on.

TJ

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 12:31PM

Are you sure you're not using NCP thread? Nylon thread will darken under Threadmaster just like with any other finish

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 06:18PM

Andrew;
Some time back I had the same problem with thread master. Turned out that it was being caused by contamination from my syringes. Even though they were supposed to be for epoxy measuring there was some type of lubricant in them that was causing the separation. I have since washed any new syringes out with dawn dish soap. I have not had a single problem since.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 12:03AM

Mine always goes dark as well, and I have used the garnet a LOT with Threadmaster.......are you sure you didn't use CP? You should be "wetting" the threads with Threadmaster and NO CP, it sounds like you're not wetting the thread at all........doesn't make sense.....

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster